Articles in the General News Category

“POSITIVE RESULTS” PROMPT CONROY GOLD TO EXPAND CLONTIBRET DRILLING PROGRAMME

Contibret, General News »

22 Jun 2018 Comments Off on “POSITIVE RESULTS” PROMPT CONROY GOLD TO EXPAND CLONTIBRET DRILLING PROGRAMME
“POSITIVE RESULTS” PROMPT CONROY GOLD TO EXPAND CLONTIBRET DRILLING PROGRAMME

Conroy Gold And Natural Resources Plc is to “materially increase” the drilling meterage at its gold deposit site in Clontibret, Co Monaghan following what the company has described as “recent positive drilling results”. Earlier this year, the company announced the discovery of additional extensive gold zones at Clontibret, reporting “wide mineralised intersectors and grades of up to 24 g/t gold”. In an update to shareholders, released to the Stock Exchange last week, the AIM-listed explorer said that it was increasing the meterage drilled by circa 70% to over 1,700 metres. ...

HUGE FUNERAL TRIBUTE FOR CARRICK FATHER-OF-THREE

Carrickmacross, General News »

22 Jun 2018 Comments Off on HUGE FUNERAL TRIBUTE FOR CARRICK FATHER-OF-THREE
HUGE FUNERAL TRIBUTE FOR CARRICK FATHER-OF-THREE

BY PATSY MCARDLE Huge crowds from both north and south monaghan—and a very large circle of cross-border friends and relatives from the Keady area—joined in a unified and poignant funeral tribute last week to 36-years-old carrickmacross father-of-three, seamus Bell, who died in hospital, the previous saturday, following injuries sustained as a result of a vicious assault in carrick’s main street, some five months ago. The late Mr. Bell, who resided at Foxfield, Carrickmacross, was allegedly assaulted near Carrickmacross Garda Station on January 20th last, while on his way home, following ...

MINISTER HUMPHREYS ANNOUNCES €350,000 BOOST FOR HOME OF THE ULSTER FINAL

General News, Headline »

22 Jun 2018 Comments Off on MINISTER HUMPHREYS ANNOUNCES €350,000 BOOST FOR HOME OF THE ULSTER FINAL
MINISTER HUMPHREYS ANNOUNCES €350,000 BOOST FOR HOME OF THE ULSTER FINAL

Michael Fisher Clones is on a roll. For the third Friday in succession, Heather Humphreys announced another major boost for the border town. The Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation revealed that special funding of €350,000 had been agreed by the government for major upgrading at St Tiarnach’s Park, the traditional home of the Ulster Final (which she looked forward to attending on Sunday). During a visit to the ground last weekend, Minister Humphreys told The Northern Standard she wanted to see the stadium developed in future as an iconic ...

BEECH HILL COLLEGE CHOSEN TO PARTICIPATE IN PILOT CREATIVE SCHOOLS SCHEME

General News »

22 Jun 2018 Comments Off on BEECH HILL COLLEGE CHOSEN TO PARTICIPATE IN PILOT CREATIVE SCHOOLS SCHEME
BEECH HILL COLLEGE CHOSEN TO PARTICIPATE IN PILOT CREATIVE SCHOOLS SCHEME

Monaghan’s Beech Hill College has been chosen to participate in the Scoileanna Idánacha or Creative Schools pilot programme. A media release stated: “Launched earlier this year by Minister for Education Richard Bruton TD and Minister for Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht Josepha Madigan TD, the programme is a central initiative of Pillar 1 of the Government’s Creative Ireland programme, which puts the arts and creativity at the heart of children and young people’s lives. “Chosen from over 400 applicants, those taking part in the programme include primary schools, secondary schools, ...

MINISTER QUESTIONED OVER DELAY IN INTERCONNECTOR REPORTS

General News »

22 Jun 2018 Comments Off on MINISTER QUESTIONED OVER DELAY IN INTERCONNECTOR REPORTS
MINISTER QUESTIONED OVER DELAY IN INTERCONNECTOR REPORTS

The Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment, Denis Naughten TD, has said he expects to bring to the government ‘shortly’ two reports he commissioned last year about the North South interconnector. fianna fáil Deputy for Cavan Monaghan Niamh Smyth asked Mr Naughten why he was delaying publication of the two studies and requested a timeframe for their release. In a written ….

MONAGHAN HOLD ACES

GAA, General News, Sport, Sports News »

22 Jun 2018 Comments Off on MONAGHAN HOLD ACES
MONAGHAN HOLD ACES

Colm Shalvey reports Monaghan will be expected to return to winning ways in the All-Ireland SFC when they contest a rare clash with Waterford in Round 2 of the Qualifiers this Saturday. Monaghan will travel to Dungarvan to take on Waterford at Fraher Field in a first SFC meeting of the teams and a first in any competition since 2003. Monaghan beat the Déise on that occasion in a league match in Clones, but their last trip to Waterford produced a dismal 0-8 apiece stalemate 12 months prior to that. A ...

MONAGHAN BADLY IN NEED OF LIFT AFTER ULSTER LOSS TO FERMANAGH

GAA, General News, Sport, Sports News »

22 Jun 2018 Comments Off on MONAGHAN BADLY IN NEED OF LIFT AFTER ULSTER LOSS TO FERMANAGH
MONAGHAN BADLY IN NEED OF LIFT AFTER ULSTER LOSS TO FERMANAGH

John Graham reports The hurt and the disappointment may not have totally abated but Monaghan will have to get their focus back for their trip to the south-east this weekend when they take on Waterford in Round 2 of the All Ireland Qualifiers this Saturday in what is a first ever championship meeting between the sides. Monaghan go into the qualifiers this year having lost out to a sucker punch injury time goal to Fermanagh in the Ulster semi-final, a game that Monaghan should have won, but recriminations in that regard ...

HEATHER’S GOT GAME!

General News »

14 Jun 2018 Comments Off on HEATHER’S GOT GAME!
HEATHER’S GOT GAME!

Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation, Heather Humphreys TD got to spend a little time indulging in some gaming when she launched the Youth Hub at Latton Resource Centre on Friday last. She is pictured here playing Mario Kart, but she confessed that she is more partial to Candy Crush! This was the first stop on the Minister’s whistle-stop tour of Monaghan, her native county, where she visited various projects she had funded. See full story on page 4. © Rory Geary/The Northern Standard

MONAGHAN ORANGEMEN MEET TAOISEACH IN BELFAST

General News, Headline »

14 Jun 2018 Comments Off on MONAGHAN ORANGEMEN MEET TAOISEACH IN BELFAST
MONAGHAN ORANGEMEN MEET TAOISEACH IN BELFAST

Orange Order Project Officer in Co. Monaghan, David Waller (right), shows the Taoiseach two collarettes belonging to his family from Emyvale and Glaslough RBP during Mr Varadkar’s visit to the Orange Heritage museum in East Belfast last Friday. It was the first time a serving Taoiseach had visited the Order’s headquarters . Mr Varadkar was greeted by the Grand Master Edward Stevenson. They paused inside the building to pay their respects at a memorial window in tribute to 336 members of the Loyal Order who had been murdered during the ...

BIG NAVAN WIN FOR UP MONAGHAN SYNDICATE

General News, Headline »

14 Jun 2018 Comments Off on BIG NAVAN WIN FOR UP MONAGHAN SYNDICATE
BIG NAVAN WIN FOR UP MONAGHAN SYNDICATE

In scenes reminiscent of the glory days of the late businessman and horse-racing supremo Oliver Brady, there were whoops of joy at Navan Racecourse on Wednesday night, June 6 last as the Up Monaghan syndicate led in Spiral Galaxy following his scintillating win in the Midsummer Raceday Handicap at odds of 14/1. Trained by Anthony McCann in Oliver ’s former racing establishment in Co Monaghan, and having only his third….