Articles in the General News Category

SENATOR O’REILLY ELECTED VICE- PRESIDENT OF COUNCIL OF EUROPE PARLIAMENTARY ASSEMBLY

General News, Uncategorized »

27 Jan 2018 Comments Off on SENATOR O’REILLY ELECTED VICE- PRESIDENT OF COUNCIL OF EUROPE PARLIAMENTARY ASSEMBLY
SENATOR O’REILLY ELECTED VICE- PRESIDENT OF COUNCIL OF EUROPE PARLIAMENTARY ASSEMBLY

Fine Gael Senator for Cavan/Monaghan Joe O’Reilly has been elected to the position of Vice-President of the Council of Europe Parliamentary Assembly. Expressing delight at the appointment, for which he was nominated by Taoiseach Leo Varadkar, Senator O’Reilly told the Northern Standard this week that he was looking forward to doing his utmost to…

THE SEARCH FOR THE MONAGHAN ROSE 2018 BEGINS…

General News »

27 Jan 2018 Comments Off on THE SEARCH FOR THE MONAGHAN ROSE 2018 BEGINS…
THE SEARCH FOR THE MONAGHAN ROSE 2018 BEGINS…

By Veronica Corr The 2018 Monaghan Rose Selection Launch, organised by the Monaghan Rose Centre, will take place tomorrow evening, Friday, January 26th, from 5.45pm in the Glencarn Hotel, Castleblayney. The 2017 International Rose of Tralee Jennifer Byrne will be there for a meet and greet, as will the reigning Monaghan Rose, Maria Murnaghan. All welcome. Anyone who is interested in putting their names forward for this year’s Monaghan Rose selection is welcome to do so. Entrants must be currently 18 years or over and under 28 years of age ...

MINISTER DALY GIVES COMMITMENT TO VISIT MONAGHAN HOSPITAL

General News »

27 Jan 2018 Comments Off on MINISTER DALY GIVES COMMITMENT TO VISIT MONAGHAN HOSPITAL
MINISTER DALY GIVES COMMITMENT TO VISIT MONAGHAN HOSPITAL

Cavan/Monaghan Fianna Fáil Senator Robbie Gallagher told The Northern Standard yesterday that he had been given a commitment by Minister of State at the Dept of Health Jim Daly TD that he would visit Monaghan General Hospital in the near future. Speaking in the Seanad yesterday, Senator Gallagher raised with Minister Daly, who has responsibility for Mental Health and Older People, the possibility of smaller hospitals such as Monaghan having a degree of services restored to them in order….

COUNCILLOR TREANOR HOLDS FAST TO STANCE ON COUNTY OF SANCTUARY PROJECT

General News »

27 Jan 2018 Comments Off on COUNCILLOR TREANOR HOLDS FAST TO STANCE ON COUNTY OF SANCTUARY PROJECT
COUNCILLOR TREANOR HOLDS FAST TO STANCE ON COUNTY OF SANCTUARY PROJECT

“These are not extreme or false statements, these are facts,” stated Independent member of Monaghan Co Council Seamus Treanor this week in relation to the opposition he has voiced to the Monaghan – County of Sanctuary proposal. Councillor Treanor in a statement to The Northern Standard expressed disappointment with comments made to this newspaper last week by Monaghan Co Council Director of Services Paul Clifford. Mr Clifford, who is Chairperson of the Co Monaghan Peace Partnership, reacted to comments made by the North Monaghan public representative at…

SNOW CAUSES TRANSPORT AND POWER PROBLEMS THROUGHOUT COUNTY

General News, Headline »

19 Jan 2018 Comments Off on SNOW CAUSES TRANSPORT AND POWER PROBLEMS THROUGHOUT COUNTY
SNOW CAUSES TRANSPORT AND POWER PROBLEMS THROUGHOUT COUNTY

A Met Éireann Status Orange snow and ice warning remained in place for Co Monaghan until noon today, Thursday as local authority and emergency services continued to work to deal with the transport and power supply problems the Arctic weather had brought in its wake. Monaghan with counties Cavan and Donegal were among the locations hit hardest by the extensive snowfall that blanketed the country on…

MINISTER MORAN ALLOCATES €150,000 FOR FLOODING RELIEF DURING VISIT TO COUNTY

General News, Headline »

19 Jan 2018 Comments Off on MINISTER MORAN ALLOCATES €150,000 FOR FLOODING RELIEF DURING VISIT TO COUNTY
MINISTER MORAN ALLOCATES €150,000 FOR FLOODING RELIEF DURING VISIT TO COUNTY

By Veronica Corr Minister of State at the Office of Public Works and Flood Relief, Independent Alliance TD Kevin Boxer Moran, embarked on a whistle-stop tour of County Monaghan on Thursday last and he came bearing gifts in the shape of €150,000 in funding for three Minor Works Schemes to alleviate flooding in some of the areas worst affected. His first stop was a meeting with the Executive of Monaghan County Council and Oireachtas representatives, where €75,000 was announced for the….

HIGH COURT REJECTS APPEAL BY ANTI-PYLON CAMPAIGNERS OVER INTERCONNECTOR

General News »

19 Jan 2018 Comments Off on HIGH COURT REJECTS APPEAL BY ANTI-PYLON CAMPAIGNERS OVER INTERCONNECTOR
HIGH COURT REJECTS APPEAL BY ANTI-PYLON CAMPAIGNERS OVER INTERCONNECTOR

EIRGRID WANTS TO MOVE TO NEXT STAGE OF PROJECT Michael Fisher EirGrid has welcomed two decisions by the High Court in Dublin that reaffirmed planning approval in the Republic for the controversial North South electricity interconnector. Planning approval for the project was granted by An Bord Pleanála in December 2016. This was challenged by the North East Pylon Pressure Campaign and in a separate case by environmental campaigner Val Martin. The proceedings were dismissed by the High Court last August and an appeal was subsequently made by the NEPPC. This has ...

PEACE PARTNERSHIP CHAIRPERSON COUNTERS “EXTREME STATEMENTS AND FALSE ALLEGATIONS” ON COUNTY OF SANCTUARY INITIATIVE

General News »

19 Jan 2018 Comments Off on PEACE PARTNERSHIP CHAIRPERSON COUNTERS “EXTREME STATEMENTS AND FALSE ALLEGATIONS” ON COUNTY OF SANCTUARY INITIATIVE
PEACE PARTNERSHIP CHAIRPERSON COUNTERS “EXTREME STATEMENTS AND FALSE ALLEGATIONS” ON COUNTY OF SANCTUARY INITIATIVE

Monaghan Peace Partnership Board, Monaghan Co Council Director of Services Paul Clifford has responded to what he describes as “extreme statements and false allegations” made during a debate which took place at the January meeting of the Council last week on the County of Sanctuary initiative. At the meeting, Independent councillor Seamus Treanor called on the local authority to call a halt to the project, alleging that it was likely to encourage what he described as “undesirables” to “arrive in droves…

MUNICIPAL DISTRICT BACKS CALLS FOR RELEASE OF REPORT INTO AIDAN MCANESPIE KILLING

General News »

19 Jan 2018 Comments Off on MUNICIPAL DISTRICT BACKS CALLS FOR RELEASE OF REPORT INTO AIDAN MCANESPIE KILLING
MUNICIPAL DISTRICT BACKS CALLS FOR RELEASE OF REPORT INTO AIDAN MCANESPIE KILLING

The members of the Monaghan Municipal District on Monday added their voices to the renewed chorus of appeals to the Irish Government to release a report into the killing at a Border checkpoint of young Co Tyrone man Aidan McAnespie by a British soldier in 1988. As the 30th anniversary of Mr McAnespie’s death approaches, there has been a renewed focus on the still fully unexplained circumstances of the incident in which he lost his life. The 23-year-old, who worked in Co Monaghan and was well known in the local ...

10% RISE IN MONAGHAN HOUSE PRICES PREDICTED IN 2018

General News »

19 Jan 2018 Comments Off on 10% RISE IN MONAGHAN HOUSE PRICES PREDICTED IN 2018
10% RISE IN MONAGHAN HOUSE PRICES PREDICTED IN 2018

Property agents are predicting that average house prices in Co Monaghan will rise by 10% in the year ahead. Prices increased by 4.4% between September and December 2017, with the price of the average three-bed semi in the county rising by 16.2% (to €165,000) in the last 12 months. This is according to a national survey carried out by the Real Estate Alliance (REA), who stated in a media release: “While a slight improvement is possible in supply of housing, it will not be on a major scale during 2018, ...