Articles in the General News Category
SCHOOL RESTORATION PROJECT TO FEATURE ON RTE1 THIS SUNDAY
A major restoration project by Monaghan-based architect Ronan Fitzpatrick will feature in the latest edition of RTÉ’s ‘The Great House Revival’, to be broadcast this Sunday 20th May at 9:30pm on RTÉ1. Presented by architect Hugh Wallace, the series follows six homeowners who have taken on the task of a lifetime, to transform derelict properties into comfortable modern homes fit for the 21st century. All over Ireland, there are derelict properties quite literally rotting to the ground. Country estates, farmhouses, cottages and Georgian buildings. All places that once buzzed with ...
DOUBLE-HEADER
GAA, General News, Sport, Sports News »
Colm Shalvey reports This is a busy time for the county teams, with Monaghan’s senior and minor footballers and senior hurlers facing vital games this weekend. Topping the bill is Sunday’s highly-anticipated Ulster SFC quarter- final against Tyrone in Omagh. A week after the Connacht clash between Mayo and Galway failed to ignite, this is another of the stand-out opening-round fixtures on paper, pitting the third- and fourth-placed teams in the Allianz NFL Division One against each other. Monaghan finished their league campaign on a high with a rare Croke Park…
SUNDAY’S BIG GAME PROMISES TO BE AN ABSOLUTELY RIVETING AFFAIR NOT TO BE MISSED
GAA, General News, Sport, Sports News »
John Graham reports WHEN Tyrone reached their first ever All Ireland senior football championship final, back in 1986, they published a special souvenir booklet in the County under the title “The Long Watched Day” and that title might well apply to Sunday’s Ulster Senior Football Championship Quarter-final clash between the reigning champions Tyrone and a Monaghan side that is seeking to put the disappointment of losing out at the semi-final stage in the last two years behind them. Monaghan lost out to Donegal in the 2015 semi final after a replay ...
100 NEW HIGH-SKILL JOBS FOR MONAGHAN
– Entekra aims to conquer US housing market • Peter Hughes Recruitment is now actively underway to fill 100 new highskill positions in the Monaghan division of the home manufacturing firm Entekra, company co-founder Gerry McCaughey told The Northern Standard this week. Entekra, which is based in Monaghan and California, announced on Monday that it had secured a $55 million (€46 million) investment that would spur an expansion of its Monaghan operations to enable the company realise ambitious plans to create a dominant niche for itself in the US housing supply ...
THREE AREAS TO GET FLOOD PREVENTION SCHEMES…
But it could be 2029 before they are completed Michael Fisher Proposed flood prevention measures for Monaghan town, Inniskeen and Ballybay will have to wait up to ten years before they are completed according to an announcement last week by the Minister of State for the Office of Public Works and Flood relief, Kevin ‘Boxer’ Moran TD. The Minister visited Co. Monaghan in January in the company of the Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation and local Fine Gael Deputy Heather Humphreys TD. He saw for himself a …
GARDAÍ’S BREXIT PREPARATIONS DETAILED BY ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER
Peter Hughes An Garda Síochána had been involved for the last eleven months in preparatory work for the possible policing implications of Britain’s Brexit withdrawal from the European Union, Assistant Garda Commissioner Barry O’Brien told last week’s meeting of Co Monaghan’s Joint Policing Committee. Present at the meeting in response to an invitation to discuss the need for the deployment of additional Gardaí in Co Monaghan, the Assistant Commissioner also addressed in some detail the work being done by the Gardaí to prepare ….
“COME HOME” CALL TO COUNTY MONAGHAN CONSTRUCTION WORKERS ABROAD
The Construction Industry Federation (CIF) has called on construction workers originally from Co Monaghan and other parts of the country who are now part of the diaspora to come home. The CIF said it had estimated that it would need to attract at least 112,000 workers up to 2020 to deliver on current housing and infrastructure targets. In a statement this week, the Federation’s Director General Tom Parlon said: “The CIF has repeatedly flagged the urgency for attracting new employees into the industry as….
CONCERN OVER PRIVATISATION OF CERVICAL CANCER TESTS PROVEN VALID – DEPUTY Ó CAOLÁIN
Sinn Féin TD for Cavan/Monaghan Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin said that concerns he had voiced a decade ago about the privatisation of cervical cancer screening tests had been proven valid by the current controversy over test results. Deputy Ó Caoláin said that, ten years ago, on May 21 2008, following the announcement by then Health Minister Mary Harney TD of her intention to contract cervical cancer tests to US-based corporations, he had stated in the …
ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER SAYS INCREASING CO MONAGHAN GARDA NUMBERS IS A PRIORITY
Peter Hughes A commitment that he would prioritise the deployment of additional Gardaí to Co Monaghan was made by Garda Assistant Commissioner Barry O’Brien when he met the members of the Co Monaghan Joint Policing Committee last week. Assistant Commissioner O’Brien conceded that Monaghan had undergone “a significant reduction” in Garda personnel and described himself as unapologetically parochial when it came to the resources needed in the northern Garda region (including Co Monaghan) for which he had responsibility. In a wide-ranging discussion, the senior Garda officer, who was joined at ...
MONAGHAN’S MARATHON MAESTRO FETED
Monaghan’s maestro of the marathon Leslie Crawford was the recipient of a surprise celebration in his honour at Ballyalbany Hall on Monday last. Leslie’s friends in the local running fraternity arranged the function to mark his 200th marathon, the Belfast City event held earlier in the day. He is pictured with his wife Kanita and daughter Suzanne. © Rory Geary/The Northern Standard

