1 September 2011 No Comments by The Northern Standard

The sparkling and spacious new Church of Ireland National School in Rockcorry received its first batch of pupils on Tuesday last, marking a major milestone in what has been a hugely successful project in difficult times, and bringing six years of initial planning to a culmination.
Under the stewardship of long-serving school principal Hazel Speares, the tastefully designed new school has three classrooms, a resource room, learning support room, staff room, offices, general purpose hall and toilets, and is set in grounds comprising a grass pitch and hard-core pitch as well as ample parking space.
The staff is made up of three teachers, a part-time secretary, part-time speech therapist and a shared learning support teacher and cleaner.
The former site of the school in Rockcorry village had opened in 1846, and among its most famous pupils was John Robert Gregg, inventor of Gregg shorthand, who enrolled in 1872. The old building had been renovated in 2002, but in 2007 the Dartrey and Rockcorry Group of Parishes secured a site from Coillte at Dartrey Forest, which paved the way for the construction of the new school.
Funding for the project was approved by the Department of Education in April 2010, and this was supplemented by a hugely successful, ongoing fundraising drive in which €120,000 has been raised to date
Although saddened to be leaving their historical site in the village, staff and students alike are delighted to be moving to their impressive new state-of-the-art facility at the edge of Dartrey Forest, just outside Rockcorry on the Cootehill road.
Photo ©Rory Geary/The Northern Standard
•See next week’s Northern Standard for photographic coverage of the “First Day at School in Monaghan.”

Comments are closed.