COUNCILLORS TOLD EXECUTIVE WILL ACT IF INTERCONNECTOR WORKS BREACH PLANNING CONDITIONS

10 December 2021 No Comments by The Northern Standard

Peter Hughes

“If there is a breach of the planning application we will investigate that,” Deputy Chief Executive Paul Clifford told the members of Monaghan Co Council on Monday. He was responding after concerns were raised about recent works carried out by contractors for ESB Networks on lands in parts of Co. Monaghan in connection with the construction of the North South electricity interconnector.

Mr Clifford also stated that any breaches of health and safety regulations were matters to be investigated by the Health and Safety Authority. He was replying to Fianna Fáil councillor Seamus Coyle, who raised the question of whether health and safety rules had been broken in the course of a number of incidents which reportedly arose when farmland in the county was accessed for the purpose of site investigation works for the project.

ESB Networks told The Northern Standard last month that it is currently undertaking minor works in relation to the interconnector. These include walkover surveys and drilling of boreholes and are being undertaken by contractors working on ESB Networks’ behalf and with the prior consent of landowners (obtained by EirGrid). It follows the submission of planning compliance notices to each local authority including Monaghan. These ground investigations will inform the environmental, traffic management and waste management plans as set out in planning permissions associated with the project, the…

Comments are closed.