COVID-19 CASES CONTINUE TO RISE IN MONAGHAN

23 April 2020 No Comments by The Northern Standard

Michael Fisher

As the Taoiseach indicated the government is preparing a plan to re-open the economy and society in stages over the next few months, the number of Covid-19 cases in Co. Monaghan recorded over the past six weeks surpassed 200.

As we went to print last night, the latest official figures released by the Department of Health showed that from midnight on April 1st when there were 17 cases, the number had risen to 199 by midnight on Sunday April 19th,. The number for the next 24 hours is likely to take this figure to over 200. The first recorded case locally was on March 20th.

CHANGE IN RESTRICTIONS NOT A FOREGONE CONCLUSION: DR HOLOHAN

The total of laboratory confirmed deaths from coronavirus in the Republic recorded up to Tuesday was 730. Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan said there were an additional 108 probable Covid-19 deaths. The total number of diagnosed cases nationally is now over 16,000. Speaking about the number of recoveries made, Dr Holohan said 8,377 people (55% of cases) had recovered in the community, while 856 had been discharged from hospital.

He said there cannot be any “taking the foot off the gas” as the review date of 5th May approaches. He said it should not be a foregone conclusion that restrictions will be changed at that time. Nursing homes remain a major concern for health chiefs.

Although there are no specific figures for Co. Monaghan, it was revealed on Tuesday that nationally, 171 clusters or outbreaks, representing just over one-third of the total, have been recorded in nursing home settings, with efforts continuing to tackle the problem (see separate story). An official census of mortality across…

Comments are closed.