RESPITE CAMPAIGNERS SAY MINISTER MCGRATH WAS “SHOCKED” WHEN TOLD OF SITUATION AT COOTEHILL CENTRE

17 January 2019 No Comments by The Northern Standard

CALL FOR DISUSED BUILDING IN ST DAVNET’S TO BE ADAPTED FOR “CRISIS” CASES

• Michael McDonnell

MEMBERS of the Parents Action Group for Respite Services in Cavan and Monaghan met with Minister of State for Disability Issues Finian McGrath at his offices in Dublin on Wednesday of last week, where they outlined to him the hardship they are experiencing because of the ongoing suspension of respite services at a centre in Cootehill that is supposed to cater for families in the surrounding Cavan and Monaghan area.

The Parents Action Group spokesperson, Ms Jennie Farrelly, told the Northern Standard that the meeting, which was organised by Brendan Smith TD, had been very useful and that Minister McGrath showed great concern when he learned that the Annalee View Respite Centre was currently being used exclusively to cater for one child (or possibly two) with challenging behaviours.

The group outlined a number of proposals to Minister McGrath, making it clear to him that they wanted a second respite facility in Cootehill (allowing children and adult service users to be catered for respectively in each centre), and that they were calling for the HSE to swiftly adapt….

Comments are closed.