MULLAGHMATT MAN REFUSED BAIL AFTER ALLEGED ASSAULT ON GARDA AT COURTHOUSE

15 July 2016 No Comments by The Northern Standard

A 38-YEAR-OLD MAN was arrested at Monaghan District Court on Monday last — and subsequently refused bail — after allegedly assaulting a garda on the steps of the courthouse, following a brief hearing in which other charges against him had been adjourned to a later date.

Gary Morgan of 89 Mullaghmatt, Monaghan town was remanded in custody after the judge was told of a fresh charge against him alleging that he assaulted Garda Padraig Scott at Church Square, Monaghan on Monday afternoon.

Superintendent Noel Cunningham said this was a case that arose from an incident that had just occurred. The defendant had been in the court earlier, and a young garda was just leaving the courthouse when, it was being alleged, there was an unprovoked assault on him as he stepped outside.

The garda was very lucky not to have fallen down the steps, Supt Cunningham added, and on that basis the gardai were seeking that Mr Morgan be remanded in custody.

Telling Judge Denis McLoughlin that the custody application was being made on the basis of the seriousness of the offence, and the fact that a more serious charge might follow, the superintendent said the victim in this case was at that moment in hospital receiving x-rays. A file would be forwarded to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Supt Cunningham said he had concerns that the defendant would not turn up in court, as he had previously taken five bench warrants for non-appearances.

There was also the likelihood of his committing further offences, and it was of concern that one of the cases currently before the court in respect of which the defendant was on bail was in relation to a similar-type incident involving an alleged assault on a member of An Garda Síochána.
Mr Morgan had been on bail at the time of the new …
WEBSITE-Logo-1024x833

Comments are closed.