EXTRA FUNDS FOR AFTERMATH OF CO. MONAGHAN FLOODING

8 January 2016 No Comments by The Northern Standard

By Patsy McArdle

THE SEVERE flooding which hit many parts of Co. Monaghan over the Christmas and New Year period led to local Dail deputy Sean Conlan making a direct call to the Minister for Transport Tourism and Sport, Paschal Donohoe, who has responsibility for roads, to provide additional special funding to deal with the aftermath of the flooding in this region.

Prior to Tuesday’s additional €18 million government funding announcement, Deputy Conlan had written to the Minister to outline the areas in County Monaghan which were the worst affected by the flooding over the Christmas and New Year periods, and to seek the additional financial aid for the area.

Deputy Conlan said yesterday many of the affected areas had been susceptible to flooding for many years and that in a number of instances no major changes have been made to deal with this problem which happens on a yearly basis.

He said : “I have visited the areas which are the worst affected and spoken with the Area Engineer who has confirmed that a report will be drawn up to analyse the worst affected areas and assess how to prevent it from happening in the future”.

“I have let the engineers know that I will assist them in any way that I can in lobbying the Office of Public Works for the necessary funding to alleviate the problems”.

Deputy Conlan, who recently resigned from Fine Gael and indicated he will represent…

conlon

Comments are closed.