29 October 2015 No Comments by The Northern Standard

By Michael McDonnell

A 55-YEAR-OLD woman killed in a two-vehicle crash on the Monaghan–Clones road at 7.50am yesterday morning has been named as Maria Fatima Soares, a Portuguese lady who was living in Roslea, Co Fermanagh.

The fatal accident was one of four incidents that took place in much the same area along the N54 in just over 26 hours, including one that occurred only 15 minutes later, in which a woman in her 20s was injured when the car she was driving collided with a lorry.

The lady involved in the fatal accident at Aghalisk (between the Roslea Road junction and Brandrum cross) had been driving towards Monaghan when her car collided with a van coming in the opposite direction. She was pronounced dead at the scene. The van driver, who was in his late 50s, was taken to Cavan General Hospital with injuries understood to have been minor in nature. Another accident was reported about 15 minutes later, at Ballyleck on the N54, in which a lady in her 20s who was driving towards Monaghan crossed the road and was involved in a glancing collision with a lorry. The woman’s car had overturned, but she is believed to have escaped with relatively minor injuries.

Two further accidents in the same general area were reported on Tuesday. The first took place at Aghalisk (at the same site as the fatality) at 5.55am when a car driving towards Monaghan was written off after leaving the road and striking a tree. The driver, a man (29) who was travelling alone, was not seriously injured.

At 9pm on Tuesday night, the male drivers of two cars that struck each other while travelling in opposite directions on the N54 at Annagola, closer to the Roslea junction, also emerged unscathed.

The proximity of the accidents to each other has given rise to local concerns about oil along the stretch of road in question. A garda spokesperson confirmed that the roadway in question was very greasy, and that this was consistent with reports of oil being spilled on it.

The roadway remained closed until after 6pm yesterday evening (with diversions via Threemilehouse or Ballinode) to allow a forensic examination of site of the fatal accident, and it is understood that Co Council workers also treated the road surface.

Comments are closed.