18 September 2015 No Comments by The Northern Standard

The Senior Football Championship semi-finals have been moved back a week after another two draws, while the Intermediate and Junior Championships are on the home staight. by COLM SHALVEY

The remarkable, unprecedented run of draws in the Greenfield Foods Senior Football Championship continued last weekend.

After 160-plus minutes of football, Latton and Magheracloone still can’t be separated and they will have to meet for a third time. Magheracloone, with Tommy Freeman back from suspension and Alan Kieran and Pádraig McMahon lively up front, again led for long spells, hitting double figures by the 45-minute mark, by which stage Latton had lost Owen Duffy. The Mitchells would then go more than 35 minutes without scoring, however, as well as having Paudie Finnegan sent off, allowing Latton to force extra-time again with a brace of added-time frees by Owen Coyle. Stephen McCabe’s point for Latton looked set to be the only score of the extra 20 minutes, until David Kirk rescued Magheracloone with a ’45 at the death.

Clontibret and Ballybay will also need a second replay to settle their tie after an entertaining draw. Having led by 0-7 to 0-5 at half-time and gone within inches of doubling their lead after the restart, Ballybay then kept Clontibret scoreless for 13 minutes. Conor McManus – still dealing with his hip injury, plus having to contend with Drew Wylie – had only scored a point from a free at that stage, but he burst to life dramatically in the final quarter to turn the game in Clontibret’s favour. A late Thomas Kerr goal edged Ballybay ahead, but McManus converted a free deep into added time to equalise and he added four points in extra-time to take his tally to 0-11, while Martin Corey found the net to help Clontibret into a four-point lead. Ballybay looked to be headed for the qualifiers, but there was still time for more drama, as veteran substitute Colin Malone nailed 1-1 in the dying minutes to level it up once more.

The McElvaney Waste & Recycling Intermediate Football Championship is down to the semi-finals. Cremartin came from ten points down to dump Corduff out on Saturday. Goals by Keith McEnaney and Cathal Connolly and the accuracy of Brendan McNally helped Corduff storm into a 2-6 to 0-2 lead, but that had been reduced to four by the end of the first half. Cremartin continued to rally in the second half, holding their opponents to just three points in the last two-thirds of the match. With Barry Carragher impressive from frees, the Shamrocks drew level …


Comments are closed.