12 June 2015 No Comments by The Northern Standard

The countdown is on to Monaghan’s Ulster Senior Football Championship semi-final against Fermanagh in Kingspan Breffni Park Cavan on Sunday week. by COLM SHALVEY

With ten days to go, Malachy O’Rourke and co. are once again sweating over the fitness of Drew Wylie. The full-back, twice an All-Star nominee, won his race to be fit for the Ulster quarter-final win over Cavan, when he made his tenth consecutive championship start for Monaghan, but the Ballybay man is again said to be doubtful for the clash with Fermanagh. Dick Clerkin, who was yesterday announced as the Ulster GAA Writers’ Merit Award winner for May, will be hoping to become the first Monaghan player to make a 50th senior inter-county championship in that game, which will see his side bid to qualify for a third Ulster final in a row under O’Rourke.
Fermanagh expect to have a full panel to choose from for the June 21 clash at Kingspan Breffni Park. Fermanagh manager Pete McGrath is optimistic that Eoin Donnelly will return from the hand injury that kept his captain out of the Allianz National Football League Division Three Final loss to Armagh and the Ulster quarter-final win over Antrim.
Club orders for tickets for Monaghan’s Ulster SFC semi-final are due in tomorrow (Friday) and supporters are advised to buy tickets in advance to avoid delays on the day and also to benefit from reduced prices. Tickets are also available from, or from any Centra or Super Valu store. Students and senior citizens are reminded that concession tickets are only available through clubs and the county board.
The line-up for the Ulster SFC semi-finals is almost complete after Derry edged out Down by 0-12 to 0-11 at Celtic Park last Sunday. Derry put their league woes behind them to grind out a one-point win in a scrappy game which saw Down play almost all of the second half with 14 men. With Eoin Bradley returning from his sabbatical playing soccer (much to Colm O’Rourke’s distaste) to produce a Man-of-the-Match performance, Derry made all the early running and although two fine points from play by Kevin McKernan helped keep Down in touch, Mark Lynch found his shooting boots before half-time to send the hosts in leading by 0-8 to 0-5.
Despite Down having Cónall McGovern sent off just after the restart, Derry then went 20 minutes without scoring, allowing Paul Devlin’s free-taking and a point from the increasingly influential Conor Laverty to bring the Mourne men level. A point from Derry sub Caolán O’Boyle was cancelled out by Devlin’s sixth, but there was still time for a Bradley free to earn Derry a semi-final against the winners of this Sunday’s highly-anticipated clash between Donegal and Armagh. Donegal have already had ..

Comments are closed.