STRONG OPPOSITION TO PYLONS AS EIRGRID DEFENDS OVERHEAD NORTH/SOUTH INTERCONNECTOR PLANS

24 April 2015 No Comments by The Northern Standard

Michael Fisher

As anti-pylon protestors in County Monaghan met in Aughnamullen to express vigorous opposition to the North/South Interconnector plans for overhead power lines, the head of Eigrid has told an Oireachtas committee that putting the line underground would add €500m to the project. Chief Executive Fintan Slye also confirmed to Deputy Sean Conlan that there had been no specific consultation with local communities on a possible underground route.

Around 300 people packed into Aughnamullen Social Centre in Lough Egish on Monday night to protest against EirGrid plans for a second overhead North/South electricity interconnector. The anti-pylon protestors from County Monaghan agreed a motion put forward by Fianna Fáil Councillor Seamus Coyle and seconded by Fine Gael Councillor Hughie McElvaney. It instructs TDs to place a Dáil motion asking the government to instruct EirGrid to cease all work on the proposed North/South link and to direct Eirgrid to underground fully the North/South interconnector as a HVDC-VSC cabling along roads, as in the company’s proposal for a section of the GridWest link. Asked by a member of the large crowd if she supported the motion, local Fine Gael T.D. and Minister for the Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht, Heather Humphreys said she would take time to read the motion before she agreed to it. Deputy Sean Conlan said he would be bringing the….

eirgrid

Comments are closed.