SCHOOL TRANSPORT SERVICE NOT WITHDRAWN FROM SOUTH MONAGHAN LOCATION SAYS BUS ÉIREANN

24 April 2015 No Comments by The Northern Standard

A discussion at a recent meeting of Monaghan Co Council about the threatened withdrawal of school bus services from a location in South Monaghan because of the poor condition of a local road led to correspondence from Bus Éireann coming before last week’s April meeting of the local authority.

The letter, from Fiona Mulpeter, Chief Clerk with Bus Éireann’s School Transport section in Dundalk, said that no school transport service was withdrawn from the South Monaghan route in question.

“We received notification from John Lennon, the Municipal District of Carrickmacross-Castleblayney, re repairs on Coalpit Road in Carrickmacross,” Ms Mulpeter wrote.

“These repairs were carried out while schools were on midterm break from 16th-20th February 2015.”

Referring to the correspondence, Fianna Fáil councillor P J O’Hanlon said that Bus Éireann had informed parents on a Friday evening that school buses were being taken off the road in question because of the condition of the road.

Colr O’Hanlon thanked the roads staff in Monaghan Co Council, particularly John Lennon and his team, who had gone out and sorted out the problem.

“You made an allegation at our last meeting that wasn’t true,” Fine Gael’s Hugh McElvaney told Colr O’Hanlon.

Colr O’Hanlon responded that there…

 

Comments are closed.