‘BLAYNEY COLLEGE EXTENSION IS TO FINALLY GO AHEAD

28 November 2014 No Comments by The Northern Standard

By PATSY McARDLE

WORK on the building of the long awaited major extension at Castleblayney College is to finally go ahead, it was confirmed this week.

Carrickmacross/Castleblayney Fianna Fail Municipal Authority representative on the Cavan/Monaghan Educational Training Board. Cllr. P.J. O’Hanlon revealed that a formal Letter of Intent to enable the project to proceed immediately is being issued tomorrow (Friday) to the main contractor.

The Board’s Chief Executive Officer Mr. Martin G. O’Brien has also expressed his thanks to all the Board members, former Vocational Education Committee members, and members of the Oireachtas for Cavan/Monaghan, for their representations and support of the the project.

He said it was recognised the extension to Castleblayney College had been ongoing for a long period of time but, thankfully, they had now got the project over “this important milestone”.

Cllr, O’Hanlon said: “This is great news for everyone in the Castleblayney College catchment area and for families and students of today and in the future.”

“The need for this extension has been felt for a long time, and has led to exhaustive representations by local public representatives, including myself”.

Personally, he said, he had campaigned very diligently to get the extension moved ahead more speedily as the present situation at the college in which students had to move across the main Dublin/Derry N2 route for years to get from one classroom to another was totally unacceptable and, despite the safety measures exercised and traffic lighting provided, was still extremely hazardous.

He added that it was hoped the project would now be completed as quickly as possible for the benefit of all potential post-primary students in the area.

Comments are closed.