9 May 2014 No Comments by The Northern Standard

Truagh 4-14
Currin 1-07

TRUAGH won their first home Senior Football League game since returning to senior with a comprehensive victory over Currin at St. Mellan’s last Friday evening.

Truagh lost to Currin in the Intermediate League Final last November, but they were comfortable this time, with eight players getting on the scoresheet, including all six starting forwards. Currin started brightly, but they were hit with a sucker punch before half-time when Truagh scored two goals and with some key players absent from the team, their resources were stretched to their limit and they could only score two points in the second half.

Christopher McKenna and Adam Treanor scored 3-7 between them for Truagh, with the other goal coming from Neil McRory, while Currin were too reliant for scores on Jack McCarron.

Truagh were first off the mark with an Adam Treanor point, but it was Currin who struck the game’s first goal when Jack McCarron fired home in the seventh minute. Points by McCarron, Dick Clerkin and Gerard O’Callaghan kept Currin in front, although Christopher McKenna and Adam Treanor kept Truagh in touch.

Truagh got back on level terms thanks to a goal from Christopher McKenna and from the moment Brendan Treanor edged them ahead, the hosts never looked back. Truagh finished the half with a bang; late goals by Neil McRory and Adam Treanor opening up a decisive lead. Philip O’Callaghan and McCarron got points back for Currin, but Truagh still led by 3-6 to 1-5 at the interval.

Christopher McKenna, Adam and Brendan Treanor, Mark Counihan and Christopher McAnenly were on target as Truagh pulled further clear in the early stages of the second half, while Currin suffered another blow when Conor McCaffrey was shown a black card. McCarron and Francis O’Callaghan got points back for Currin, but Truagh hit an unanswered 1-3 in the last 12 minutes, with the goal coming from Christopher McKenna and subs Niall McMeel and Darren Todd adding …

Comments are closed.