19 July 2013 No Comments by The Northern Standard

Monaghan 4-16
Tyrone 1-10

MONAGHAN made the long journey Derry to commemorate the City of culture and duly came away with their fifth Ulster ladies SFC title in the searing heat of Celtic Park thanks to an impressive 4-16 to 1-10 win over Tyrone.

Monaghan went in search of a four in a row and were the favourites to retain the Ulster title and after hitting 1-7 on the trot after the restart never looked like falling short of achieving their goal.

With a couple of enforced changes at the outset, Niamh Kindlon took up the full forward position, while Ellen Mc Carron went to the middle of the park to partner Eileen Mc Kenna and Yvonne Connell filled the full back position to make way for Cathriona Mc Connell up front.

Ellen won the throw in and within a minute this yielded a point from Caoimhe Mohan.

However Tyrone, who have improved since these teams last met in the league, were piling on the pressure and none other than Gemma Begley who picked out her team make Cathy Donnelly to point. Niamh Kindlon won the airfield battle to give the return to the incoming Caoimhe Mohan who in turn passed to Cora Courtney but this went wide of the target.

Tyrone them went two up after Gemma Begley pointed a free for afoul on herself. From the kick out the ball was won by Sarah Connolly but the latter player was judged to have over carried and with the ball back in the Monaghan forward line Cathriona Mc Connell sent this over for second point.

That score was followed up minutes later by a side-line kick from Therese Mc Nally to pick out Niamh Kindlon for the latter to point.

Once again the kickout was won by the Tyrone midfield and with Lycrecia Quinn pushing forward good intervention by Grainne Mc Nally and she came away with possession, however she was deemed to have overstepped the side-line and this gave the possession back again to Tyrones Emma Hegarty, she in turn picked out Shannon Quinn to point.

From the resulting kickout the ball was back in Tyrone ….

Comments are closed.