5 July 2013 No Comments by The Northern Standard

Monaghan 1-10
Cavan 0-12

A RESILIENT Monaghan held out in a nerve tingling finish to book their place in the final of the Ulster Senior Football Championship at the expense of Cavan in Clones on Saturday evening last.
The victory also denied Cavan completing a hat-trick of victories over Monaghan as they had been victorious on the last two occasions when the sides met in 1995 and 2001.

Overall Monaghan were deserving winners in that they were the more purposeful team for the bulk of the game, using their experience and physical strength to good effect against a Cavan side that already claimed the scalps of both Armagh and Fermanagh.

The sides were level 6 times over the course of the game, three in each half and the lead changed hands on quite a few occasions as well as each side capitalised on even the slightest chance that accrued. To some extent Monaghan made life difficult for themselves at times but they also had to contend with some very controversial refereeing by Sligo whistler Marty Duffy. That said though Monaghan showed great character and a huge appetite for work in a game that built in intensity and had the crowd of 15,644 on the edge of their seats throughout the second-half.

The sides went in level at the break, Monaghan 1-5, Cavan 0-8 but Cavan were only ahead once in the entire second half and that approaching the end of the third quarter with Monaghan then going on to edge the exchanges in a frenetic finish although Cavan felt aggrieved that they did not get a late free when Rory Beggan appeared to have over carried the ball after it was played back to him from a free in stoppage time.

Cavan point
Cavan were first on the attack but were off target from two attempts in the opening minutes while at the other end they scrambled the ball off their own goal line twice after Christopher McGuinness looked to have forced it over the line but the umpires remained static. Cavan were off target from two further chances, Eugene …

Comments are closed.