20 June 2013 No Comments by The Northern Standard

Tyholland 1-13
Corduff 0-14

TYHOLLAND held out in a frenetic finish to get their McGuigan Builders Intermediate Football championship campaign off to a winning start but they were pushed to their very limits by a Corduff at Grattan Park on Sunday evening last.

Tyholland got off to much the better start and had five points on the board before Corduff registered their opening score but Tyholland still held sway in the second quarter to lead by five points at half-time with some excellent performances from Gary McQuaid, Peadar Farrelly, Dermot Coyle, Raymond Ronaghan and former Armagh county player Paul McCormack whose ball winning and distribution were a feature of Tyholland’s play.

Approaching the end of the third quarter Corduff that margin down to the minimum with excellent performances from the likes of Keith McEnaney, Jason Hand, Martin Mills and Padraic Keenan but Tyholland struck a decisive blow when Dermot Coyle converted a penalty in the 16th minute to give them a five points lead. Ultimately though they were only to add a single point in the remainder of the match while Corduff registered four but they could not get through for the goal they needed to turn it around completely as the Tyholland defence held out.

Corduff were immediately on the attack from the throw-in but Padraic Kennan’s effort was blocked with Tyholland coming on a quick counter attack for a point by Shane Treanor with just a minute on the clock.

In the following five minutes Tyholland registered four unanswered points, two inside a minute by Dermot Coyle and one each by Shane Treanor and Karl O’Connell who finished well at the end of a surging run out of defence, something that Corduff found difficult to contain at other times during the game.

Eight minutes into the game Keith McEnaney opened Corduff’s account with a point from a free with Tyholland then wide of the target twice before Jason Hand converted two 45’s inside two minutes, something that he had done as goalkeeper last year but on this occasion lining out at full forward. That flurry brought the margin down to two, but, by the 20th minute Tyholland were back to a four points advantage with points by Ryan McKenna and …

Comments are closed.