20 June 2013 No Comments by The Northern Standard

Ballybay 0-13
Rockcorry 1-06

BALLYBAY made a winning start to their defence of the Gormley uPVC Senior Football Championship title, but only after a tough battle against Rockcorry in Aughnamullen last Friday evening.
Despite constant rain making conditions unseasonably tough, both teams contributed to a keenly-contested game, where Ballybay’s greater experience helped see them over the line. The Pearse Brothers always looked the more likely winners, but they were pushed all the way by a determined effort from SFC newcomers Rockcorry.

Paul Finlay starred for Ballybay, kicking some fine scores, while Drew and Ryan Wylie were impressive in defence and Tommy O’Neill got through a lot of work at midfield. Rockcorry had strong performances from Keith Daly, Noel Carroll and Lorcan Smyth, but they struggled up front and they weren’t helped by injury limiting Mark Daly’s influence on the game.

Ballybay threatened to score a goal as early as the first minute, but Danny Toner was blocked down by Keith Daly and instead it was Rockcorry who opened the scoring with a point from Mark McGuirk at the end of a well-worked move involving Johnny Reilly, Keelan Clerkin, Noel Carroll and Fergal McGeough.

Dwayne Rooney doubled Rock’s lead after good work by Clerkin, Mark Daly and McGuirk, but a soccer-style finish from Shane McGuinness brought Ballybay’s first point in the 14th minute.

Paul Finlay added a quick brace of points from play – the first off his right foot and the second with his left, finishing a counter-attack led by Drew and Ryan Wylie and Thomas Kerr – to edge the Pearse Brothers ahead for the first time.

Finlay then tapped over a 20-metre free for a foul on Shane McGuinness, before Drew Wylie got forward to kick a point. A dangerous free played across the face of their own goal led to Ballybay keeper catching Fergal McGeough with his elbow and conceding a penalty, which Rooney tucked away for Rockcorry’s first SFC goal.

McGeough followed …

Comments are closed.