15 March 2013 No Comments by The Northern Standard

Monaghan 0-14
Fermanagh 0-12

A RESILIENT Monaghan staged a strong finish to clinch victory and leapfrog over Fermanagh in the division 3 table in this tough, hard hitting if at times rough-and-tumble but always entertaining affair that was played in wintry and somewhat greasy conditions in Brewster Park, Enniskillen, on Saturday evening last.
Monaghan were full value for their victory in that they weathered a lightning start by Fermanagh to lead by three at the break and then fashioned a winning finish after being hauled back to parity twice in the final quarter.
Add to that a missed penalty about midway through the second-half and a Fermanagh team that were roared on by their passionate supporters and there was drama aplenty as Fermanagh stormed back in the closing stages looking for a goal that might salvage a point.
In the end the Monaghan defence held firm and Fermanagh were unable to negotiate the opening through the heavy traffic that would have kept their unbeaten run intact.
A mere 30 seconds had elapsed when Shane McCabe opened the scoring with a point for Fermanagh, Eoin Donnelly creating the chance with a strong run. Paul Ward, who proved a real handful for the Monaghan defence for long periods, converted a free in the second minute for a foul on Declan McCusker and then picked off an excellent effort from play when he got on the end of an excellent ball in by Marty O’Brien.
Monaghan broke up another Fermanagh attack but Colin Walshe was robbed, Shane McCabe broke forward to feed Tomas Corrigan and the late replacement for Ryan Jones split the posts to put the home side four in front.
On the night, just three players got on the score sheet for Monaghan, Conor McManus and Paul Finlay with five points apiece, and Owen Duffy with four. McManus scored his first in the sixth minute when he converted a free with Paul Finlay reducing the deficit to two in the ninth minute, again from a free this time for a foul on Darren Hughes that saw Marty O’Brien yellow carded for the frontal challenge.
Ciaran Hughes tried his luck from distance a minute later but was off target but from the resultant kick out Owen Duffy won possession, broke clear, played an excellent one two with Paul Finlay before splitting the posts to reduce the deficit to the minimum with just 11 minutes played.
Back came Fermanagh with Daryl Keenan converting a free for a foul on Tommy McElroy to put the home side two …

Comments are closed.