1 June 2012 No Comments by The Northern Standard

Monaghan United 3
Sligo Rovers 1
CORMAC JACKSON reports from the Showgrounds

“I thought we played particularly well, we kept very, very calm, we were very concentrated and I thought we were worthy winners in the end,” was how Monaghan United boss Roddy Collins summed up the result that sent a seismic shockwave through the FAI Ford Cup second round at the weekend.

The Mons continued their recent upsurge in form by knocking holders Sligo
Rovers out of the competition in a dramatic Friday night encounter at the Showgrounds – a “revenge is best served cold” result that conferred a measure of retribution on the knock-out specialists form the north-west who had snatched the EA Sports Cup from United’s grasp in 2010, and also accounted for their chances in the FAI Cup campaigns of 2010 and 2011.

The Mons recovered from an eight-minute concession to Sligo’s Mark
Quigley to run out ultimately convincing winners thanks to strikes from Jason Marks, Tony Griffith and Keith Quinn.
And the visitors survived a first minute scare when Danny North pounced on a fumble by goalkeeper Michael Schlingermann to sweep the ball home only for referee Paul McLoughlin to rule the effort out for offside.

But Rovers weren’t long denied – Stephen Maher’s foul on Ross Gaynor
being punished with a penalty that Quigley drilled into the bottom corner.
Quigley was the architect of a chance that looked set to send Sligo further in front in the 26th minute, his clever pass finding David Cawley whose effort was only kept out by a stellar save from Schlingermann.

Three minutes later, United were on level terms. Willo McDonagh created
the chance, but the glory goes to Tony Griffith who produced a superb finish from just outside the area.
The game settled into a cautious pattern with both sides reluctant to risk too much lest the other profit.

As the game entered the second half, Sligo looked most likely to get their noses in front, Jason McGuinness wasting an excellent chance when he met a corner with a powerful header that soared over
the crossbar from close in. But it was United who, somewhat against the run of play, gained the upper hand in the tie. Jason Marks was gifted possession and, although forced wide by …

Comments are closed.