20 April 2012 No Comments by The Northern Standard

Cork City 6
Monaghan Utd 0
By Peter Hughes

Monaghan United made the long journey to Turner’s Cross on Friday night
with what looked like realistic hopes of recording their first win of the Airtricity League Premier Division campaign against an out-of-form Cork City – but instead they slumped to their worst defeat in senior soccer for some considerable time as the home side found their scoring touch and a Keith Quinn sending off left United severely disadvantaged in their vain bid to stem the rout.
Mons boss Roddy Collins will be taking serious stock after this result, which roots his side firmly in the basement of the top tier and seems to map out a long and difficult journey in the months ahead if his
team are to lift themselves out of the relegation straits and into the comfort zone.
A seasoned striker with a proven track record of finding the net at this level would seem to be the most exigent of his requirements.
The Mons’ battling spirit is not in question, however, and it was this quality that seemed to give them realistic hopes of retrieving something from this game until it all headed west for them in a torrid
second half.
Having established a foothold in what was an even and edgy contest in the early stages, United suffered a slice of ill-luck to go behind close to the half-hour. A Daryl Horgan shot looked like meat and drink for goalkeeper Chris Bennion until the effort glanced off Conor McMahon and looped into the other side of the goal.
The score had a salutary effect on the confidence of a side that had only amassed two points from their opening six games, and an energised Cork found themselves two in front four minutes later.
Again United suffered defensive misfortune – Bennion came authoritatively
to claim GearÓid Morrissey’s flighted free-kick but couldn’t get a clean grasp on the ball, which fell to Vinny Sullivan. His
powerful drive was deflected kindly into the path of Davin O’Neill, who kept a cool head to find the net in the crowded penalty area.
Any hopes United had of salvaging a result expired in the nightmare opening moments of the second half.
A late Keith Quinn challenge on Daryl Horgan resulted in a free-kick from which Morrissey picked out Sullivan deep in the United penalty area. With the visiting defence all at sea Sullivan made no mistake
from close range for his side’s third.
Quinn compounded his initial booking for the concession of the free-kick with some ill-disciplined backchat to referee Rob Rogers in the aftermath of the Cork score, and Mr Rogers had no hesitation in producing a second yellow for the talented but temperamental Mons midfielder. Reduced in ranks and facing a rampant Cork side urged on by their vociferous fans, the remainder of the match took on a siege atmosphere for …

Comments are closed.