HURLING CLUB’S MOBILE DRESSING ROOM DESTROYED IN MYSTERY FIRE

16 March 2012 No Comments by The Northern Standard

By Veronica Corr

“It’s just a pile of ashes,” is how John Scully, Chairman of Carrick Emmets GAA Club described a gutted makeshift dressing room which went on fire in the early hours of Monday morning.
The blaze at the club’s site on the Donaghmoyne Road was visible from the N2 bypass, the Northern Standard has been told.
The container-type two-compartment portacabin, which belonged to the Emmets’ hurling club, was brought to the new Donaghmoyne Road development late last year.
The alarm was raised at 3am on Monday morning last.
A garda spokesperson stated that both gardai and fire brigade personnel who attended the scene were satisfied that the fire was not started deliberately.
However, it was made clear by spokespersons for the club itself that they firmly believe the flames could not have broken out by accident.
It was pointed out that there was no electricity supply to the temporary cabin concerned or indeed to any part of the grounds.
The exterior gates and the structure itself were locked at the time.
Fortunately the container, which was being used as a changing room facility, had no equipment, furnishings or any other items stored in it.
Mr Scully stated that Monday’s incident affected not only the club, but also the community at large.

Comments are closed.