21 October 2011 No Comments by The Northern Standard

Latton are just one win away from a historic senior double after they edged their way to another one-point win away to Ballybay in the second semi-final of the Drumlin Group of Credit Unions Senior Football League last Sunday.
Latton have been making a habit of winning big games by the narrowest of margins and they repeated the trick in this game to break the hearts of their neighbours once again, just like they had done in the SFC semi-finals on their way to championship success. Latton played some great football in the first half – with five players getting on the scoresheet in the first 20 minutes – and they were full value for their six-point interval lead, but they went all of 29 minutes without scoring in the second half, allowing Ballybay to draw level thanks to six unanswered points. The championship winners did their now familiar smash-and-grab job at the end, though, as Kieran Duffy followed the lead of his older brother Owen by kicking the winner in the final minute.
Both Kieran and Owen Duffy were central to Latton’s latest win, as were Owen and Edmund Lennon, Owen Coyle and Aidan Farmer. Latton’s defence was as tight as ever, restricting Ballybay to just three points from play and keeping yet another clean-sheet.
Ballybay’s forwards never hit the heights which made them the highest-scoring team in the league this year and they failed to find the net for only the second time in 19 SFL games – unsurprisingly, the other was also against Latton. Paul Finlay, Drew, Ryan and Brent Wylie and Shane McGuinness did their best to keep Ballybay in touch, but it wasn’t enough to prevent another crushing defeat for the Pearse Brothers.
Hugh McElroy gave Latton an early lead with a point from a 35-metre free after Evan Rutledge had been penalised for over-carrying. That lead was doubled when Shane Coyle finished off a well-worked move involving Owen Coyle, Owen Lennon and Bernard O’Brien, but Paul Finlay got Ballybay off the mark when he converted a 25-metre free for a foul on Shane McGuinness and he linked up with Thomas Kerr to curl over a well-taken equaliser.
Full report in The Northern Standard

Comments are closed.