14 October 2011 No Comments by The Northern Standard

Latton match-winner Owen Duffy believes SFL success in 2010 formed the springboard which catapulted his club to SFC glory this year. The man whose injury-time point sealed the O’Rahillys’ 1-6 to 0-8 win over Scotstown in last Sunday’s county final reckons the momentum garnered from last year’s league title win came to a crescendo in the dregs of the final in Inniskeen.
“Morale wasn’t too good after going out of last year’s championship with defeat to Scotstown and then to Carrick,” recalls Duffy who captained Latton to their 2010 SFL triumph.
“But the next game after we went out of the championship was (in the league) against Clontibret on a real damp, dreary day and we all got together and vowed to make the rest of the league the foundation stone for a far better, more successful, 2011.”
As luck would have it for the dervish-like centre-forward, Duffy’s clinical, skilfully-executed late, late point left the air in Inniskeen clogged with the dust of a Scotstown dream that had just been demolished.
It was the best of ways to win a SFC decider and the worst of ways to lose one.
In a virtual carbon copy of the way he broke Ballybay hearts (1-9 to 1-8) in last month’s semi-final, Duffy guillotined Scotstown’s bid for a first blue riband title since 1993 by carving out the decisive point with surgical precision and at a juncture which left no time for the north countymen to get off the canvas.
And while 24-year old Duffy is, this week, the indelible nightmare Scotstown supporters will not easily erase, the Dundalk-based bank official is quick to deflect the bouquets flung his way, insisting that he was “just in the right place at the right time.” “From the (aforementioned) Clontibret game onwards, everyone of the 38 lads on the panel came to training every night and put in a lot of extra personal work too and just drove forward with the aim of getting our hands on the Mick Duffy Cup this year.
Full report in The Northern Standard

Comments are closed.