23 September 2011 No Comments by The Northern Standard


A 19-YEARS-OLD Castleblayney youth who was previously remanded in custody on an assault charge, arising from the death of a young Co. Meath musician, found with severe injuries on an isolated country road in South Monaghan last June, appeared at Carrickmacross District Court yesterday (Wed) to face a murder charge.
 Conor McClelland of Cullentrabane, Laragh, had been remanded from a previous hearing charged with assault causing serious harm to 22-years-old musician, Gavin O’Connor, of Kilmainhamwood, Co. Meath, on June 4th last.
 But yesterday, when McClelland was brought before Judge Sean MacBride at Carrickmacross Court, Garda Inspector Pat McMorrow, Monaghan, who was prosecuting, announced that a murder charge was now being brought to replace the earlier assault charge, which was being withdrawn.
 The court heard that Sergt. Anthony Flynn, Carrickmacross, had charged McClelland with the murder of the musician at the village of Lisdoonan, on June 4th.
 McClelland made no reply to the new charge and his defence lawyer Ms.Michelle Flanagan (Messrs Wilkie and Flanagan, solicitors, Blayney) said no application was being made for bail.
 Inspector McMorrow was then granted a further remand of the accused, in custody, to September 28th. He said it was expected a book
of evidence might be available by that date, for the accused to be sent for trial.
 The accused, who had handcuffs removed while the new charge was put to him, was sobbing in the courtroom as he sat between two gardai.
 Some members of the O’Connor family from Kilmainhamwood were present in court for yesterday’s brief appearance of the accused.
 At the same court, arising from separate road traffic prosecutions on dates in December of last year, McClelland had a three months’ prison sentence imposed with a five-year driving ban for having no insurance and for driving while disqualified. He was also fined €50 for failing to display insurance.

Comments are closed.