28 July 2011 No Comments by The Northern Standard


Aughnamullen staged an increasingly effective final quarter performance to edge past Currin in this hugely entertaining and totally absorbing contest that was played in ideal conditions in Emyvale on Friday evening last. Played at a cracking pace throughout this was a game that had everything, high fielding, good movement, great running of the ball, full-blooded challenges and some excellent score taking by both sides. In the end it was a goal by Mark McArdle in the 10th minute of the second-half that sent Aughnamullen on their way and from there to finish they closed out this game effectively restricting Currin to just two points in the final quarter. In setting up their more effective performance in the final quarter Aughnamullen had improved on some of the disappointing aspects of their play earlier when they squandered possession too easily through poor handling and too often the final ball inside was not what was required.
That said though when the chips were down the men that mattered, Edmund McArdle, Christopher Keenan and Mark McArdle all found the range while Currin were left relying almost exclusively on the accuracy of Jack McCarron from frees. Both defences were seen to great effect throughout with the two fullbacks Conor McCaffrey of Currin and Sam Dooney of Aughnamullen superb and it was the growing dominance of the Aughnamullen defence that left Currin living on scraps in the final quarter.
Currin had got off to the better start and led for most of the second quarter

and by the end of the first half they had established a one point lead with Jack McCarron registering all of their first half scores.
They extended their lead to two twice in the early minutes of the second half before Aughnamullen struck for the only goal of the game in the 10th minute. That effectively was the turning point as they lifted their game from there on to run out deserving winners.
Aughnamullen set up two early attacks but were wide of the target from both with Currin then opening the scoring with a point from a free by Jack McCarron in the fourth minute following a foul on Steven Smith.
A minute later Lee Conlon brought Aughnamullen level coming through to get on the end of a good cross from Christopher Keenan.
Two minutes later Aughnamullen took the lead for the first time with a point from a free by Edmund McArdle but almost immediately Currin were back to parity with Jack McCarron converting after Dick Clerkin had been fouled, the free moved for dissent to make it easier.
Both sides were off target in the following minutes before Aughnamullen retook the lead with a point by Lee Conlon in the 14th minute but Currin now hit a real purple patch during which they won four frees and all were converted by Jack McCarron to leave them ahead by three points with seven minutes of normal time remaining in the first half.
Aughnamullen recovered some of the earlier composure at this stage and they went on to hit three points on the trot, all by Christopher Keenan, two from frees to tie the game up for the 4th time just on the half-hour. Two minutes into stoppage time Dick Clerkin was on hand to score an opportunist point when a long ball in by Francis O’Callaghan found Ciaran Kierans who off loaded to the Currin captain and he gave them a one-point lead at the break, Currin 0-7, Aughnamullen 0-6.
Full report in The Northern Standard

Comments are closed.