22 July 2011 No Comments by The Northern Standard


Tyholland got their IFC campaign back on track last Saturday when they saw off Seán McDermotts after extra-time in Ballybay. With a strong wind having a big impact on the game, both teams deserve credit for producing an entertaining game, albeit one that also produced three red cards.
Tyholland dominated the first half with the wind at their backs, only for the Seáns to come back strongly to force an extra 20 minutes. Goals by Paul Askin and Raymond Ronaghan helped Tyholland pull away in the first period of extra-time and although the Seáns rallied once again, they were unable to catch up.
Askin was in superb form for Tyholland, hitting 1-9, while Peadar Farrelly, Ronan McNally and Dermot Coyle also showed well. Damien Larkin, Brian McQuaid, Nigel Lynch and Noel Rice (prior to his sending-off) were best for the Seáns.
Seán McDermotts were first off the mark after less than a minute with a point from a 30-metre free by Damien Larkin, following a foul on David McEntee, but they failed to add a second point until first-half injury-time. Paul Askin got his first point of the game when Murt Cleere misplaced a pass straight to Dermot Coyle and Tyholland took the lead with a fortunate goal in the seventh minute. Karl O’Connell made a good break and sent a pass through for Brian McArdle and although Emmet McElvaney got to the ball first, he was unfortunate to deflect the ball into his own net.
Dermot Coyle added to Tyholland’s lead with a good point after a crossfield pass from Mel Boyce, before Paul Askin linked up with Adam Askin to split the posts. Tyholland needed their keeper Ciarán Boyce to be on guard to get down quickly and save a fisted effort from Larkin after a Brian McQuaid shot dropped short and they moved further clear when Paul Askin converted a 25-metre free for a foul on McArdle. When another McQuaid effort fell short, Tyholland broke at pace with Mel Boyce, Ronan McNally and O’Connell involved in setting up Paul Askin for another point and another swift counter-attack ended with a well-taken point by O’Connell.
The Seáns’ woes were summed up when the normally clinical Larkin blazed high and wide after he had taken a pass from David McEntee and raced past his man. Larkin did manage a point at the end of the half, ending 30 minutes without a score for his side, to reduce their half-time deficit to seven: 1-6 to 0-2.

Full report in The Northern Standard

Comments are closed.