FEARS FOR ULSTER CANAL FUNDING

8 July 2011 No Comments by The Northern Standard

Comments in relation to the future funding of the Ulster Canal project made by Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht Jimmy Deenihan in Clones recently sparked concerns at Monday’s meeting of Monaghan Co Council.
The Council agreed on the proposal of Pat Treanor, Co Mayor Seamus Coyle seconding, to write to Minister Deenihan requesting that he recommit to the necessary funding for the development and to the timescale previously agreed for the project’s delivery.
When in Clones the Minister stated that he had been “warned not to give a commitment to funding” in relation to the redevelopment of the Ulster Canal, although he also remarked that he would be anxious to see the initiative going ahead.
At Monday’s Co Council meeting, Colr Treanor said that the Minister had announced one positive initiative for Clones [the hosting by the town of this year’s National Famine Commemoration event], but there was also alarm and dismay caused when the Minister appeared to throw a doubt over the funding of the Ulster Canal project.
The SF representatives said that the predecessor Minister Eamon O Cuiv had given assurances that funding for the canal was ringfenced. He asked that the Council write to Minister Deenihan expressing its own alarm and dismay at the apparent doubt that had been placed over the funding.
Colr Treanor argued that the Ulster Canal should not be part of any economic review of capital projects being conducted by the Government. It was a project that had already started, and had obtained the agreement of the North-South Ministerial Council – it was four years in the running with millions already spent. A timeline commitment had already been given and people were working towards 2014 as the completion date.
The Clones councillor urged that the Council seek a recommitment by Minister Deenihan to the necessary funding and the timeframe.
Full story in The Northern Standard

Comments are closed.