BANNIGAN RAISES NEW HEALTH FEARS OVER PYLONS PROJECT

10 June 2011 No Comments by The Northern Standard

Recent findings by the World Health Organisation indicating a possible cancer risk from mobile phone use were cited by Fine Gael councillor Owen Bannigan at Tuesday’s meeting of Monaghan Co Council when he called for reassurances to be given to the public about the health implications of the north-south electricity interconnector project being promoted by EirGrid.
Colr Bannigan expressed the view that the electro-magnetic fields produced by high-voltage power lines were similar to those associated with mobile phone masts and proposed that the Council write to the Taoiseach and a number of Government Ministers with a view to having statutory limitations in this area reviewed.
The FG councillor also claimed that public opposition to the project had hardened within the affected communities in Co Monaghan.
Colr Bannigan told Tuesday’s meeting that EirGrid had informed the public through announcements and handouts that they had embarked on a six-week non-statutory public consultation process. He noted that the Council had extended an invitation to EirGrid representatives to meet them later in the month, and they had written back to say that the project team would attend but neither the Chief Executive of Chairperson would be present.
Colr Bannigan said he took a dim view that the people at the top of the organisation were not prepared to come down to an area severely affected by their proposal, but he thought the Council should accept the offer to meet the project team.
“A number of public meetings have taken place in the last two-three weeks and the level of opposition is hardening against this project,” the Fine Gael representative claimed, pointing out that a major public meeting was taking place in Lough Egish next Monday night to which the local Oireachtas members had been invited.

Comments are closed.