Off Colour Mons Fade Under Mervue Mist

29 October 2010 No Comments by The Northern Standard

Mervue United 2 v 1 Monaghan United

It has been a weekend of shock results in the Airtricity league and that trend continued in the only game on Saturday night as second from bottom Mervue United guaranteed their place in the First Division following a 2-1 win over title chasing Monaghan United.

Just like Galway United put a serious dent in Bohemians title hopes last night, Mervue did the same to Monaghan’s title and promotion hopes in Terryland Park. It was also the first occasion that all three Galway clubs recorded wins over the same weekend, as Salthill also defeated Cork City on Friday night to defy bookmakers odds of over 1,000/1 for all three to win.

It took a quarter of an hour before Mervue created the first chance of the game when Dave Goldbey crossed for Rory Gaffney whose low effort produced an excellent diving save from Gabriel Sava. Monaghan’s response was immediate as Cathal O’Connor missed a glorious chance at the other end as he shot wide of Ger Hanley following a cross-field ball by Aiden Collins.

The home team went in front on the half hour mark after Shane Grimes had made a brilliant last-ditch tackle to stop Goldbey scoring as he deflected the ball out for a corner. From that resultant corner Goldbey was not to be denied again as he powerfully headed home Alex Lee’s perfect delivery.

That lead was short lived though as the visitors were back on level terms within 3 minutes. O’Connor got away down the left wing before crossing to the back post were Collins arrived to head home for 1-1.

Monaghan started the second half on the front foot as Don Tierney fired an effort past Hanley’s post and more visitor’s pressure followed with two successive corners before Phillip Hughes shot wide inside the six-yard box.

On 54 minutes O’Connor once again caused danger down the left side cutting inside before evading two defenders but shooting badly wide from inside the penalty box. Hanley then denied Hughes with an excellent stop with his feet as the striker’s quick thinking created the opportunity on 59 minutes.

Mervue went back in front a minute later as Monaghan shot themselves in the foot. Left back Grimes tried to pass a free-kick to one of his centre halves but only succeeded in giving the ball straight to an alert Gaffney, who couldn’t believe his luck as he raced away to slip the ball past a bemused Sava.

Mark Ludden saw a cross from the left strike the top of the crossbar on 68 minutes before Gaffney tried to catch Sava out with a long range effort from out wide of the right but the keeper was awake to his effort.

Hanley produced another excellent save to once again deny Hughes with a flying save from a free-kick on the edge of the box on 77 minutes.

Monaghan threw on all three subs in the final eleven minutes as they chased the game but the home side looked comfortable, as Mike Elwood and Martin Conneely were excellent at the back.

With three minutes of injury time signalled, Brennan fired another free-kick over Hanley’s crossbar, while Mike Collins had the chance to ensured all three points but hit his effort straight at Sava.

Three minutes of injury time turned to five as Monaghan forced three consecutive corners with one final push for an equaliser, but Mervue held on as they eventually cleared the ball for referee John McLoughlin to blow the final whistle.

The win guarantees Mervue’s First Division status for next season as they move four points clear of Salthill with only one game remaining. For Monaghan they must get a result at home to Derry next week to ensure a play-off place because if Shelbourne beat Waterford next Saturday night and Monaghan lose they will miss out altogether.

Mervue Utd: Ger Hanley, Noel Varley, Martin Conneely, Mike Elwood, Dan Cunningham, Alex Lee, Barry McEntee, Kevin Crehan, David Goldbey (Mike Collins ’75), Mark Ludden, Rory Gaffney (Mike Tierney ’90). Subs not used: Bryan Kenny, Enda Curran and Eoin Martin (GK). Yellow Cards – Noel Varley (‘19), Rory Gaffney (‘21), Martin Conneely (’79)

Monaghan Utd: Gabriel Sava, Conor McMahon (Ian McNeill ’84), Aidan Lynch, Brian Gartland, Shane Grimes, Cathal O’Connor (Darragh Hanaphy ’79), Don Tierney, Alan Byrne, Aidan Collins (Barry Clancy ’79), Sean Brennan, Phillip Hughes. Subs not used: Stephen McCrossan and Paul Whelan.

Comments are closed.