Frustration as Mons fail to breach the walls of Limerick!

22 October 2010 No Comments by The Northern Standard

Monaghan United endured a frustrating Friday evening at Gortakeegan when, like William of Orange before them, they failed to breach the defensive walls of Limerick and lost valuable momentum in their bid to claim the Airtricity League First Division championship title as a consequence, writes Peter Hughes.

In a game distinguished – if that’s the word – by some dreadful finishing from both sides, United, displaying hints of an inhibiting tension as the conclusion of their promotion campaign reaches its decisive phase, were never at their best.

After an indifferent first half performance, they stoked up a good head of attacking steam after the restart, and looked set to be rewarded for their dominance in the 68th minute when a great scoring opportunity fell the way of Sean Brennan.

But Brennan scuffed the ball wide from close range and his reaction, as he sank to the turf behind the goal and clasped his head in his hands, spoke volumes for the potentially  momentous nature of the miss.

The wasted chance seemed to wind United, and it was Limerick who were the greater scoring threat in the last twenty minutes.  Gabriel Sava helped calm the United defensive nerves with a string of confident saves and the home cause was greatly assisted by Limerick’s poverty of execution when the opportunity to beat the in-form ‘keeper beckoned.

Derry City duly took advantage of this result the night after when they trounced Salthill Devon 5-1, putting themselves in a strong position for the title and automatic promotion.

But with two games of the campaign remaining United need only a point from this weekend’s visit to Mervue United to ensure themselves of at least a promotion play-off.  Derry City have to negotiate a tricky home fixture with the combative Finn Harps, and should they slip up there could yet be an awful lot at stake when the Candystripes come to Gortakeegan on Saturday, October 30 for the final game of the season.

Limerick FC themselves needed victory on Friday night to keep alive their slim hopes of claiming a play-off berth, and they looked the most likely in the game’s scrappy opening phase.

Full report in The Northern Standard

Comments are closed.