Preferred route for Clontibret-Border road scheme to be known in January

9 September 2010 No Comments by The Northern Standard

The selected preferred route option for the N2 Clontibret to the Border road scheme will be put to the members of Monaghan Co Council for their consideration in January, Director of Services David Fallon informed the Council members at their September meeting on Monday.

The consultants on the project, Grontmij, were expected to announce the chosen route before the end of 2010 but the period for public consultation in relation to the development – which has generated a great deal of opposition in a number of North Monaghan communities – has now been further extended until September 30.

Mr Fallon told Monday’s meeting that 1,400 submissions had so far been received in relation to the project, 500 of which had come in over the last few days. Around 180 people had visited the Mtek offices and discussed the proposals one-to-one with staff there.

The Director of Services said that the public consultation deadline had been further extended as it had been intimated to the Co Council that people needed more time to make submissions.

“It is such a sensitive issue that we want to ensure that all those who wish to make submissions can do so,” Mr Fallon stated, adding that, “This road will be there for generations.”

Full report in the Northern Standard

Comments are closed.