Articles in the Headline Category
MONAGHAN BUSINESS AWARDS 2018 GETS OFFICIAL LAUNCH
The official launch event for the Monaghan Business Awards 2018 took place on Tuesday last. Confirming the return of the awards initiative which proved a resounding success when inaugurated last year, Monaghan Town Team, which is running the awards in association with Monaghan Local Enterprise Office, AIB and Sky Rocket Media, said they had been developed “to recognise business excellence within Monaghan Municipal District.” Trevor Connolly, Town Centre Co-ordinator, stated: “The awards are an opportunity for the public to vote for their favourite businesses in Monaghan Municipal District across 15 ...
FROM TYDAVNET TO TINSELTOWN
Caitriona Balfe receives Best Actress IFTA Award Michael Fisher Caitriona “Balfe has made it from Tydavnet to Tinseltown and become an international phenomenon. If that’s not worth celebrating, then I don’t know what is.” This was the view of the Dublin-based Daily Edge website. It’s confirmation that at long last the actress from Tydavnet is getting the recognition she deserves at home in Ireland. Last Thursday at a glamorous dinner at the Mansion House in Dublin, Caitriona won an Irish Film and Television Academy award for best actress in a drama series ...
KEISHA IS NATIONAL ART COMPETITION WINNER
Castleblayney’s Keisha McCann was selected as national winner in the 11-13 age category of the All-Ireland Credit Union Art Competition. Keisha entered the competition through her local ‘Blayney Credit Union and was among those feted at a gala awards ceremony in Croke Park on Sunday last. Noah Lavery from Emyvale was runner-up in the 8-10 years special category while Cootehill’s Max Smith received…
ANTI PYLON CAMPAIGNERS INVITE IFA TO MEETING OVER INTERCONNECTOR
QUERIES OVER EIRGRID’S RIGHT TO ACCESS LANDS RAISED IN DÁIL MINISTER SAYS HE WILL PUBLISH TWO REPORTS WITHOUT DELAY WHEN COMPLETED Michael Fisher As opponents of EirGrid’s plans for the North South interconnector prepared to meet in Lough Egish on Monday night, the Environment Minister Denis Naughten T.D. has put on the record the importance of an agreement drawn up thirty years ago between the ESB and the Irish Farmers Association regarding access to lands for the survey, construction and maintenance of overhead lines. Minister Naughten told the Dáil the long-standing ...
GOVERNMENT STRIVES TO ALLAY FEARS OF MAJOR DELAY IN CO MONAGHAN BROADBAND DELIVERY
Government party spokespersons have sought to allay the fears of a major delay in the delivery of high-speed broadband to all homes and businesses in Co Monaghan following the announcement by provider Eir that it was withdrawing from the bidding process for the delivery of the National Broadband Plan. Cavan/Monaghan Fine Gael TD and Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation Heather Humphreys said she had received an assurance from Minister for Communications Denis Naughten….
FIRST SYRIAN REFUGEES ARRIVE IN CARRICKMACROSS
The first Syrian refugees to be accommodated in Co Monaghan as part of a national resettlement programme arrived in Carrickmacross this week. Further families are due to arrive in Co Monaghan in the coming months. Monaghan Co Council has been requested to resettle 90 Syrian refugees, in 19 families, as part of the Irish Refugee Protection Programme and an inter-agency group has been…
MONAGHAN DISABLED PARKING INITIATIVE TAKES TOP LOCAL AUTHORITY ACCOLADE
A campaign to prevent the abuse of parking spaces reserved for disabled motorists conceived by Monaghan Co Council earned a top accolade at a national awards ceremony at the weekend. The “A Minute Matters” campaign won the award for Best Disability Access & Inclusion Initiative at the LAMA or Local Authority Members…
INTERCONNECTOR PROCEEDING AS PLANNED
Monaghan Representatives Express Disappointment after Meeting Minister Naughten Michael Fisher Environment Minister Denis Naughten T.D. has confirmed he gave the go-ahead last September to put the 400 pylons for the North South interconnector out to public tender. This was nearly five months before planning permission was granted for the scheme in Northern Ireland by a civil servant at the Department for Infrastructure. Minister Naughten told public representatives from Monaghan and Cavan, including a Monaghan County Council delegation, that he was awaiting two reports he had commissioned concerning the..
‘BLAYNEY MAN GETS LIFE SENTENCE FOR DUNDALK MURDER
Castleblayney, General News, Headline »
A Castleblayney man, Anthony Lambe, with an address at Annadrumman, was jailed for life in the Circuit Criminal Court on Monday last for the murder of a Dundalk woman, Irene White, in 2005. The court heard that on the morning of April 6 2005, Irene White’s 79-year-old mother called into her house for some breakfast and found her daughter lying in a pool of blood. The prosecution alleged that she was stabbed 34 times. A cold case team began reviewing the murder in 201 after two witnesses came forward with ...
SWIMMING POOL ADVOCATES DETERMINED TO MAKE A SPLASH IN CARRICKMACROSS!
By Veronica Corr There was a very productive public meeting about reforming the committee to bring a swimming pool to Carrickmacross last Wednesday night, January 24th, but the attendance was poor, even though the carpark in the Workhouse was full. It was noted that the swimming pool, or lack thereof, had been one of the most contentious issues in the town for decades, yet there was only a handful of people at the inaugural meeting. The next public meeting takes place Wednesday, February 7th at 8pm in the Workhouse and ...

