Articles in the Headline Category

TACO WORLD RECORD RAISES OVER €3,500 FOR MENTAL HEALTH CHARITY

General News, Headline »

5 Jul 2019 Comments Off on TACO WORLD RECORD RAISES OVER €3,500 FOR MENTAL HEALTH CHARITY
TACO WORLD RECORD RAISES OVER €3,500 FOR MENTAL HEALTH CHARITY

Seany McCleary from Blasta, preparing some of the taco’s during the World Guinness Record attempt for the Longest Line of Taco’s. ©Rory Geary/The Northern Standard

RESIDENTS EXPRESS CONCERN ABOUT GYPROC’S PROPOSED PLANNING APPLICATION

General News, Headline »

28 Jun 2019 Comments Off on RESIDENTS EXPRESS CONCERN ABOUT GYPROC’S PROPOSED PLANNING APPLICATION
RESIDENTS EXPRESS CONCERN ABOUT GYPROC’S PROPOSED PLANNING APPLICATION

By Veronica Corr Residents of the Drumgossatt and Knocknacran areas of Magheracloone, who were disrupted by a road closure arising from the crown hole which occurred just before Christmas, have welcomed news that Monaghan County Council plan to open the LP4900 local road in August. However, a spokesperson expressed some reservations about apparent moves by Gyproc to include the new GAA grounds and community centre in the same planning application as a new open cast mine. Nonetheless, Gyproc says that their commitment to replacing the GAA and community centre facilities ...

GREAT DAY FOR BLAYNEY AND LOUGH MUCKNO AS… MINISTER OFFICIALLY OPENS NEW OUTDOOR CENTRE

General News, Headline »

28 Jun 2019 Comments Off on GREAT DAY FOR BLAYNEY AND LOUGH MUCKNO AS… MINISTER OFFICIALLY OPENS NEW OUTDOOR CENTRE
GREAT DAY FOR BLAYNEY AND LOUGH MUCKNO AS… MINISTER OFFICIALLY OPENS NEW OUTDOOR CENTRE

By Patsy McArdle AN important new chapter in the promotion of the wonderful amenities associated with Lough Muckno as a jewel in the crown of tourism for Castleblayney was launched on Friday last with the official opening of the new Outdoor Adventure Centre, including the well-located clubhouse on the shores of the scenic lake, along the route to the White island. The official opening was performed by the Minister for Business Enterprise and Innovation, Heather Humphreys T.D., who was joined by a number of other local public representatives including Senator…

UNFINISHED HOUSING SITE IN CARRICKMACROSS TO BE DEVELOPED

Carrickmacross, General News, Headline »

28 Jun 2019 Comments Off on UNFINISHED HOUSING SITE IN CARRICKMACROSS TO BE DEVELOPED
UNFINISHED HOUSING SITE IN CARRICKMACROSS TO BE DEVELOPED

New Owner Says Design Team Will Start Next Week By Veronica Corr and Michael Fisher An unfinished housing estate that has been an eyesore in Carrickmacross for several years is to be developed in the months ahead. The site that lies between the Ardee Road and Riverside Road (opposite the Civic offices) has now been officially acquired by Belfast developer Stephen McMurrough of East Coast Estates. He says his design team will move into the site next week, four months after he had previously indicated that work would commence. In ...

PLANNING BOARD REJECTS TECHNICAL CHANGES TO TRUAGH WIND FARM

General News, Headline »

20 Jun 2019 Comments Off on PLANNING BOARD REJECTS TECHNICAL CHANGES TO TRUAGH WIND FARM
PLANNING BOARD REJECTS TECHNICAL CHANGES TO TRUAGH WIND FARM

Surveys on hen harrier and curlew movements were insufficient and out of date… Lack of information on route of electricity grid connection to Lisdrum Michael Fisher Planners have turned down an appeal by a County Cavan based energy company to make a number of amendments to a proposed wind farm with seven turbines in the Carrickroe area, on the edges of Sliabh Beagh. The technical amendments included the realignment of some internal access tracks and the relocation of a substation, along with changes to the design of the hardstanding areas for some ...

INTERCONNECTOR IS PLANNED FOR 2023

General News, Headline »

20 Jun 2019 Comments Off on INTERCONNECTOR IS PLANNED FOR 2023
INTERCONNECTOR IS PLANNED FOR 2023

Michael Fisher Completion of the North South electricity interconnector is being signalled for the final quarter of 2023. The controversial EirGrid project, which still requires planning approval in Northern Ireland, would involve the construction of a high voltage line with 400 pylons across five counties from Meath, Cavan and Monaghan to Armagh and finishing near The Moy in Co. Tyrone. The project has been included as part of the government’s climate action plan to tackle climate breakdown, published on Monday by the Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment, Richard ...

‘GOOD NEWS’ FOR BORDER REGION AS N2 UPGRADE PLANS ARE UNVEILED

General News, Headline »

20 Jun 2019 Comments Off on ‘GOOD NEWS’ FOR BORDER REGION AS N2 UPGRADE PLANS ARE UNVEILED
‘GOOD NEWS’ FOR BORDER REGION AS N2 UPGRADE PLANS ARE UNVEILED

Michael Fisher “We will try to bring the best design to it. This is good news for the development of the border region. The N2 road upgrade projects will enhance key North/South and regional connectivity and improve road safety.” This was the view of Patricia Monahan, Director of Services for Monaghan County Council, when she spoke to The Northern Standard on Tuesday during one of the public consultation sessions on the N2 national road scheme from Clontibret to the border near Aughnacloy. Another opportunity for the public to review the ...

CONNOLLY WALKS OUT OF INAUGURAL COUNTY COUNCIL MEETING OVER ALLOCATION OF POSITIONS

General News, Headline »

14 Jun 2019 Comments Off on CONNOLLY WALKS OUT OF INAUGURAL COUNTY COUNCIL MEETING OVER ALLOCATION OF POSITIONS
CONNOLLY WALKS OUT OF INAUGURAL COUNTY COUNCIL MEETING OVER ALLOCATION OF POSITIONS

INDEPENDENT Monaghan County Councillor Paudge Connolly walked out of the Council’s Annual General meeting last Friday in protest at how the process of allocating positions on the Council had been decided by the three political parties, which, he said, had excluded the three independent members. The County Council was holding its first meeting of newly elected representatives following the recent local elections. Meetings administrator Ms Carmel Thornton read out the election results by electoral area and the resultant declarations. Cllr Connolly left the chamber after demanding, unsuccessfully, that the meeting ...

NEW PLANS TO GO ON DISPLAY FOR N2 ROAD UPGRADES IN CO. MONAGHAN

General News, Headline »

14 Jun 2019 Comments Off on NEW PLANS TO GO ON DISPLAY FOR N2 ROAD UPGRADES IN CO. MONAGHAN
NEW PLANS TO GO ON DISPLAY FOR N2 ROAD UPGRADES IN CO. MONAGHAN

Michael Fisher New plans have been published for two major schemes along sections of the N2 Dublin to Derry road in Co. Monaghan, from Ardee in Co. Louth to Castleblayney and between Clontibret and the border near Aughnacloy. Monaghan County Council is now asking members of the public to comment on the proposed routes and has organised a series of consultation days in the main towns. The Council says it is seeking feedback on the study area and key constraints on the proposed N2 schemes. Monaghan County Council is working ...

GARDAI INVESTIGATE MONAGHAN BLAZE

General News, Headline »

7 Jun 2019 Comments Off on GARDAI INVESTIGATE MONAGHAN BLAZE
GARDAI INVESTIGATE MONAGHAN BLAZE

Gardai are investigating the cause of a fire which caused extensive damage to two unoccupied buildings at Old Cross Square in Monaghan Town on Tuesday evening. The alarm was raised shortly after 5pm and the emergency services were quicly on the scene and prevented the blaze from spreading to adjoining properties. The buildings which contained a shop and a private dwelling had been empty for a number of years. Dublin Street was cordoned off while the emergency services dealt with the situation. The fire service checked the buildings to ensure ...