Articles in the Headline Category

BORDER FOOD SECTOR CALLS FOR INTENSIVE EFFORTS TO BANISH BREXIT MEAT PRODUCT BAN THREAT

General News, Headline »

27 Nov 2020 Comments Off on BORDER FOOD SECTOR CALLS FOR INTENSIVE EFFORTS TO BANISH BREXIT MEAT PRODUCT BAN THREAT

Food producers in Co Monaghan and across the Border region have called for intensive efforts to stave off the threat of a UK-Ireland meat product ban that has emerged as talks between the UK and the EU on a post- Brexit trade deal approach their conclusion. Co Monaghan farmer Edmund Graham from Ballyleck, who is the Chairman of the Beef Committee of the Irish Cattle and Sheep Farmers Association, said this week that the situation was “very worrying” and said a solution had to be found as soon as possible. ...

SMITHBORO’S BATTLING BROTHERS TO SHARE THE BILL IN MAJOR LONDON PRO BOXING PROMOTION

General News, Headline, SMITHBORO »

27 Nov 2020 Comments Off on SMITHBORO’S BATTLING BROTHERS TO SHARE THE BILL IN MAJOR LONDON PRO BOXING PROMOTION
SMITHBORO’S BATTLING BROTHERS TO SHARE THE BILL IN MAJOR LONDON PRO BOXING PROMOTION

Smithboro’s professional boxing brothers Stevie and Aaron McKenna will fight on the same bill for the first time in London on Friday December 11 next. The “baby-faced Irish terrors” as they have been dubbed in the pugilistic press will appear in promoter Mick Hennessy’s prestigious event, coverage of which will be free-to-air on British TV’s Channel 5. Stevie and Aaron will be protecting unbeaten records in separate six-round contests on the undercard of the crunch clash between welterweights Sam Eggington and Ashley Theophane. Stevie, 23, made his first appearance for ...

COST OF REFURBISHING PONTOON AT WETLANDS CENTRE WOULD BE ‘PROHIBITIVELY HIGH’

BallyBay, General News, Headline »

27 Nov 2020 Comments Off on COST OF REFURBISHING PONTOON AT WETLANDS CENTRE WOULD BE ‘PROHIBITIVELY HIGH’
COST OF REFURBISHING PONTOON AT WETLANDS CENTRE WOULD BE ‘PROHIBITIVELY HIGH’

Chief Executive Officer of Enterprising Monaghan Finbarr Daly has issued the following clarification following last week’s article about the damaged pontoon at the Ballybay Wetlands Centre, which had featured in a video published on a Facebook page about Ballybay. The Northern Standard is happy to add his comments on the present position and repeats his appeal that people should not use it under any circumstances. Last week we reported that Mr Daly told members of Ballybay Clones Municipal District the management had spent quite a lot trying to repair the ...

MONAGHAN TOWN NATIVE PETER MCKENNA NAMED UK CHEF OF THE YEAR

General News, Headline »

19 Nov 2020 Comments Off on MONAGHAN TOWN NATIVE PETER MCKENNA NAMED UK CHEF OF THE YEAR
MONAGHAN TOWN NATIVE PETER MCKENNA NAMED UK CHEF OF THE YEAR

By Veronica Corr Monaghan Town was celebrating one of its most accomplished sons as we went to press yesterday (Wednesday), Peter McKenna, who was announced as being UK Chef of the Year 2020 in The Staff Canteen’s inaugural hospitality awards ceremony, which took place online that morning. Peter, who the co-owner and chef of The Gannet restaurant in Glasgow, Scotland spoke to this reporter over the phone shortly after yesterday’s win. When asked if he had been on to Monaghan, Peter replied: “Monaghan has been on to me! My parents ...

HELPING MONAGHAN’S COVID-19 RECOVERY IS DECLARED AIM OF COUNTY COUNCIL’S 2021 BUDGET

General News, Headline »

19 Nov 2020 Comments Off on HELPING MONAGHAN’S COVID-19 RECOVERY IS DECLARED AIM OF COUNTY COUNCIL’S 2021 BUDGET
HELPING MONAGHAN’S COVID-19 RECOVERY IS DECLARED AIM OF COUNTY COUNCIL’S 2021 BUDGET

Monaghan Co Council on Tuesday morning adopted a Budget for 2021 designed to position the local authority to contribute to the economic and social recovery of Co Monaghan from the impact of the Covid-19 virus. “This Budget is framed on the basis that we are looking forward during 2021 to continuing the progress and momentum of our work, continuing to support businesses and preparing and positioning the county for the future,” Chief Executive Eamonn O’Sullivan stated. “We will come through the Covid-19 pandemic and Co Monaghan will be well positioned ...

DEPARTMENT CONFIRMS NO PLANS FOR DIRECT PROVISION CENTRE IN BALLYBAY

General News, Headline »

19 Nov 2020 Comments Off on DEPARTMENT CONFIRMS NO PLANS FOR DIRECT PROVISION CENTRE IN BALLYBAY
DEPARTMENT CONFIRMS NO PLANS FOR DIRECT PROVISION CENTRE IN BALLYBAY

Michael Fisher The government Department responsible for integration has said there are no plans to convert the former Riverdale Hotel in Ballybay into a Direct Provision Centre for asylum seekers and refugees. This was also confirmed to Fine Gael Councillor Sean Gilliland, who had contacted Minister Roderic O’Gorman through the offices of Minister Heather Humphreys. Speculation had developed locally in recent weeks and there were several comments on social media. It led to a public meeting being planned for Monday evening in Ballybay town park. This was subsequently cancelled after ...

MONAGHAN BIOCONNECT PROJECT ONE STEP CLOSER AS TENDER PROCESS LAUNCHED

General News, Headline »

19 Nov 2020 Comments Off on MONAGHAN BIOCONNECT PROJECT ONE STEP CLOSER AS TENDER PROCESS LAUNCHED
MONAGHAN BIOCONNECT PROJECT ONE STEP CLOSER AS TENDER PROCESS LAUNCHED

BioConnect Innovation Centre CLG announced this week that it was seeking tenders from building contractors to construct its new 1,639 square metre research and innovation centre situated along the Armagh Road at Knockaconny in Monaghan. The €7 million project, driven by Monaghan Co Council and founding industry partners, Monaghan Mushrooms, Manor Farm, Lakeland Dairies and Bio-Marine, in partnership with major food producers from the region, together with tertiary educational institutions, will provide up to 125 jobs in phase one of the development. Planning permission for the research and innovation centre ...

POTENTIAL COVID-19 VACCINE ‘A HOPEFUL FIRST STEP’: MCCONKEY

General News, Headline »

12 Nov 2020 Comments Off on POTENTIAL COVID-19 VACCINE ‘A HOPEFUL FIRST STEP’: MCCONKEY
POTENTIAL COVID-19 VACCINE ‘A HOPEFUL FIRST STEP’: MCCONKEY

Michael Fisher The Taoiseach Micheál Martin TD has told the Dáil that a high-level taskforce has been created by the government to oversee the roll-out of Covid-19 vaccines in Ireland once they are approved by the statutory authorities. Mr Martin said that targeting people who are vulnerable to Covid will be the immediate priority. He revealed that Ireland is due to receive around 1% of whatever vaccines are made available through the EU’s collective purchase scheme. Mr Martin was replying to Labour leader Alan Kelly TD who said the government ...

CARTHY ACCUSES HUMPHREYS OF “GUTTER POLITICS” AFTER MINISTER ATTACKS SINN FÉIN DURING VARADKAR CONFIDENCE DEBATE

General News, Headline »

12 Nov 2020 Comments Off on CARTHY ACCUSES HUMPHREYS OF “GUTTER POLITICS” AFTER MINISTER ATTACKS SINN FÉIN DURING VARADKAR CONFIDENCE DEBATE
CARTHY ACCUSES HUMPHREYS OF “GUTTER POLITICS” AFTER MINISTER ATTACKS SINN FÉIN DURING VARADKAR CONFIDENCE DEBATE

Two of Cavan/Monaghan’s Dáil representatives were at odds yesterday as the political fallout continued to radiate from Tuesday night’s contentious Leinster House debate prompted by the tabling by Sinn Féin of a vote of no confidence in Tánaiste and Fine Gael leader Leo Varadkar. Sinn Féin TD Matt Carthy accused fellow constituency Deputy and Government Minister Heather Humphreys of engaging in “gutter politics” for attacks on his party made by her when speaking during the debate, which resulted in a Government motion of confidence in the Tánaiste being passed by ...

FIANNA FÁIL’S ‘COMPLETE U-TURN’ IN INTERCONNECTOR REVEALED

General News, Headline »

12 Nov 2020 Comments Off on FIANNA FÁIL’S ‘COMPLETE U-TURN’ IN INTERCONNECTOR REVEALED
FIANNA FÁIL’S ‘COMPLETE U-TURN’ IN INTERCONNECTOR REVEALED

Michael Fisher Anti-pylon groups in Monaghan, Cavan and Meath have accused Fianna Fáil Oireachtas members of selling out local communities and reversing their policy of undergrounding EirGrid’s proposed North South electricity interconnector. Fianna Fáil’s complete U-turn on the issue now that they are members of a three party Coalition government became apparent in a radio interview on LMFM’s Michael Reade Show by the Minister of State for European Affairs, Thomas Byrne TD on Friday (see transcript on page 12). Speaking on the EirGrid sponsored programme, Minister Byrne confirmed that there ...