TRANSPORT CHAOS AS SCHOOLS REOPEN – COUNCILLOR COYLE

1 September 2016 No Comments by The Northern Standard

Examples of what he termed “chaotic situations” in relation to school transport arrangements, arising from changes in the system under which concessionary tickets are issued to students, were cited at Tuesday’s meeting of the Cavan and Monaghan Education and Training Board by Fianna Fáil member of Monaghan Co Council Seamus Coyle.

Councillor Coyle said he had been told of a number of cases where Co Monaghan pupils had been refused transport as schools reopened this week, and was also informed that 20 children had to stand on a school bus because its seating capacity was reached.

His FF colleague P J O’Hanlon, who is the current Cathaoirleach of Monaghan Co Council, said that a child from the Carrick area had been refused transport when she attempted to board a bus on her first day at school.

The Board adopted a motion moved by Councillor Coyle and seconded by Councillor O’Hanlon which read: “That Cavan and Monaghan ETB requests the Minister for Education and Science, Richard Bruton TD, and the Dept to urgently address the huge difficulties which have arisen in rural school bus transport as the academic year 2016-17 commences, for pupils, parents and schools in Cavan/Monaghan and across the country.”

When Chief Executive…
coyle

Comments are closed.