HSE INVESTIGATING BABY DEATH IN CAVAN HOSPITAL

9 May 2014 No Comments by The Northern Standard

The HSE has promised an external inquiry into the death of a baby at Cavan hospital last month, following what it has described as a “clinical incident”.

A baby boy died on April 26th last, and the investigators are to look into whether a delay in performing an emergency Caesarean section on the mother was a contributory factor.

Sinn Fein TD for Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin said the Caesarean section was delayed while the theatre it was to be carried out in was being used for another, non-maternity procedure. He said it was important that the investigation secure a full and factual account of what happened.

Welcoming the investigation, Monaghan county councillor Paudge Connolly said that if people were “flat to the max”, the risk of events like this was increased.

The HSE is reported as declining to say whether or not a delay occurred or how much time elapsed before the Caesarean was carried out. Nor did it confirm reports that a consultant has been placed on administrative leave, according to national media reports.

STATEMENT
Meanwhile, the HSE has issued the following official statement: “Cavan General Hospital can confirm that a clinical incident occurred on Saturday 26th April 2014 last, in which a baby sadly died.

“The HSE Incident Management policy is being followed and a full and a thorough investigation into this tragic event is now underway.

“Cavan General Hospital extends its deepest sympathy to the family. Hospital management has met with the family and will continue to keep them informed of the ongoing management of the incident investigation.”

Comments are closed.