24-HOUR SERVICES WILL NOT RETURN TO MONAGHAN GENERAL HOSPITAL

5 July 2013 No Comments by The Northern Standard

The unequivocal statement by Minister for Health Dr James Reilly that 24-hour medical and emergency services would not be returning to Monaghan General Hospital was the predominant theme touched on by members of Monaghan Co Council on Monday when they reflected on the outcome of a recent meeting between a delegation of their members and the Minister.

Sinn Féin’s Brian McKenna said he had pointed out to the Minister the commitments he had made in relation to Monaghan General Hospital at a protest meeting in Monaghan Town before he came to power. He told him that since then the hospital had suffered further downgradings through the closure of its kitchen facilities and reduced hours at the Minor Injury Unit.

“I asked him would he provide a separate allocation to Monaghan General Hospital through the HSE North-East Region, as an initial step to allow the return of medical services to the hospital. The Minister was very clear in his response that 24-hour opening would not return to Monaghan General Hospital.”

Colr McKenna said it should be very clear to the people of the county that the Minister stood on the steps of Monaghan …

Comments are closed.